California Institute of Technology
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Caltech's Marketing & Communications team works (as part of the integrated Development and Institute Relations department) to define, promote, and protect Caltech's image, reputation, and brand. The editorial group's focus is on creating a strong and unified voice for the Institute, ensuring that the diverse materials created by Marketing & Communications have context, coherence, and relevance; that they unite and amplify the Institute; and that they support the Institute's strategic initiatives and the department's objectives.
The Associate Editor/Science Writer provides editorial support to the Editor in Chief and is, in particular, Marketing & Communication's chief liaison between editorial and art in terms of the production of Caltech's E&S magazine as well as for a variety of other printed and online publications produced by the Marcomm team. She/he will also provide editorial support to the President's office as assigned by the Editor in Chief.
For all of these projects, the Associate Editor/Science Writer will need to work closely with colleagues in marketing, news, media relations, and online communications to ensure that content is strategic, engaging, and consistent across media and audiences.
1. For Caltech's E&S magazine, the Associate Editor/Science Writer:
a. Writes one feature article per issue
b. Is responsible for conceiving/assigning the front-of-the-book Random Walk section for each issue; writes Random Walks as needed
c. Is responsible for compiling Table of Contents for each issue
d. Is responsible for gathering/editing obituaries for "In Memoriam" section of each issue
e. Is responsible for coordinating with art department on design of entire magazine (cover and feature stories in particular) to ensure appropriate representation of science
f. Assists in brainstorming issue themes and feature ideas
2. For Marketing & Communication's News team, the Associate Editor/Science Writer writes press releases and feature stories on Caltech faculty research as assigned by the Editor in Chief
3. For Marketing & Communication's Marketing team, the Associate Editor/Science Writer:
a. Assists Editor in Chief in reviewing/commenting on/editing marketing and development materials to ensure that style and voice standards are met
b. Coordinates with art department on significant publications to ensure that design decisions are accurate and appropriate both in terms of science and overall editorial tone/theme
4. For the President's office, the Associate Editor/Science Writer assists the Editor in Chief in providing editorial support to the President or the Director of Executive Communications as requested or assigned
5. Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, English or a science related discipline
- Eight years of nonfiction writing experience
- Familiarity with scientific/technical terms and the ability to comprehend research and academic writing and translate it for different audiences as assigned
- Excellent writing, interviewing, and organizational skills
- Minimum of three years experience as an editor, preferably editing science for magazine/print publications; familiarity with editorial conventions and proofing/copyediting marks; familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style and ability to use in-house style guide to guide writing and editing of materials
- Demonstrated initiative to both seek and propose solutions to problems with diplomacy and while maintaining a positive attitude
- General computer literacy, including proficiency with MS Word and Adobe Acrobat (and, in particular, with their editing functions); Internet search engines; and familiarity with (or the ability to quickly learn) design and layout programs
The Associate Editor/Science writer should have the ability to multitask and work well under deadline pressure while maintaining a good sense of humor; a commitment to continual improvement; and a commitment to diversity and inclusion of varying views. The successful candidate will be strategic in her/his thinking and actions, work well in a team environment, be proactive and professional as well as responsible with fiscal and human resources, will both learn from experience and take appropriate initiative, and will have the desire and ability to not only learn about Caltech but to integrate into its culture and become one of its standard bearers. Experience in higher education public relations would be helpful.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: jobs.caltech.edu
Caltech is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, Minorities, Veterans and Disabled Persons are encouraged to apply.
Copyright ©2012 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
California Institute of Technology - 18 months ago