With supervision, assist professional staff as an interpreter to facilitate the provision of health, education or other services to non-English speaking, limited English speaking and/or bilingual/bicultural community members as aligned with
The Standards of Effective Instructional Support for Educational Assistants.
- Completed 90 quarter or 60 semester college credits, and/or AA degree in the area of Education, Child Development, Child Psychology, Behavioral Sciences; or area related to position assignment.
- Demonstrate the ability to provide instructional support.
- Educational background to be able to assist site staff in the provision of health, education or other services to non- English speaking clients.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, cultural differences, which may affect non-English speaking students and their parents and the process of acculturation to American society.
- Knowledge of the program in which the position exits.
- The ability to communicate effectively and sensitively with non-English speaking students and their families, especially with related program needs.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Technical training or certification in bilingual interpretation.
- Post-secondary coursework in education, child development or a related area.
- Knowledge of the programs and procedures of the Minneapolis Public Schools.
- Computer experience to assist in collaboration with families, schools, and/or community.
- Interpret the required language and culture for school personnel in a variety of situations including home, community and school-based screening activities with young children and students and in various education assessments, arranging and conducting interviews, home visits and conferences with parents; interpret the English language and culture for non-English speaking children, students, and parents during these activities; provide interpreting services in the classroom and other educational settings as needed.
- Assist site staff in delivering educational programs/services to students and in facilitating the integration of students and classes.
- Screen individuals seeking health or educational service to help determine need for support services such as transportation, social services, additional interpreter services, referral to other community agencies, etc.
- Assist families in accessing, obtaining and implementing educational activities, medical and other community services.
- Assist in the development and translation of materials for students, staff and families.
- Provide culturally relevant information to staff to assist in providing district services to students and families.
- Meet District’s standards for employee performance in attendance.
- Participate in staff development/professional growth activities relevant to position responsibilities, School Improvement Plan (SIP), and Professional Development Plan (PDP).
- Meets District’s standards for employee performance and attendance.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements
- Provide documentation/reports of work activities as requested.
- Perform related duties as assigned/requested.
- Normal classroom environment; ability to manage student behavior with the physical capacity to work directly with and supervise students. Must be able to lift 40 lbs.
Local 59 ESP $17.94/hr
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:
Bancroft School @ 612-668-3550
Diversity is one of Minneapolis Public Schools core values and is essential to our goal of putting children first and making them college-ready. Diversity of our workforce provides us with a competitive advantage and allows us to better understand, communicate with and educate our diverse student body. Minneapolis Public Schools will not deny anyone the opportunity for training or employment because of sex, race, religion, color, creed, national origin, marital status, age, sexual preference, disability or status with regard to public assistance.
Minneapolis Public Schools strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
All applicants, including MPS employees, must complete an on-line application at
In addition, upload an electronic copy of both your cover letter and resume to your application at the time that you apply. Make sure that you apply for the specific position in which you are interested. Only complete applications, which include all of the following items, will be considered:
Final candidates may be invited to interview with a committee. Final appointment to this position will be contingent upon passing a criminal background check.
This position closes on midnight on the posted deadline date.
Minneapolis Public Schools - 19 months ago