First Wind is an independent wind energy company exclusively focused on the development, financing, construction, ownership and operation of utility-scale wind energy projects in the United States. Based in Boston, First Wind has developed and currently operates wind energy projects in the Northeast, the West and Hawaii. First Wind is committed to the communities it works with to achieve the most efficient and economic wind generation projects in North America.
This position ( Associate General Counsel, Project Development & Finance ) will provide legal support in furtherance of First Wind’s business strategy to develop, own and operate utility-scale wind energy projects in the United States. In such role, the attorney will provide counsel to business partners and review, draft and negotiate various agreements and documentation associated with the development, financing, construction and operation of a wind energy facility, from its earliest stages through construction and into commercial operation. This position will counsel First Wind’s development, construction, operations and finance teams in structuring, negotiating and closing construction and permanent take-out loans, tax equity investments, turbine financings and other credit facilities. The attorney’s responsibilities will also include reviewing, drafting and negotiating real estate agreements, equipment purchase and turbine supply agreements, transmission service and interconnection agreements, PPAs and REC agreements, consulting contracts, EPC agreements and O&M and warranty agreements. This position will also support other finance and transactional work, such as joint ventures and acquisitions and will oversee litigation and work with other First Wind attorneys on environmental matters as well as regulatory compliance. This position will be responsible for foreseeing and protecting the company against legal risks and is expected to rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
There are two (2) open positions available.
This position can be based at any of the First Wind Corporate Offices in Boston, MA, San Francisco, CA and Portland, ME.
· Provide project development and finance legal expertise and support for wind energy projects.
· Draft, review and manage the legal aspects of project development and financings.
· Participate in the negotiation and completion of various project agreements, and loan documentation.
· Support project documentation and compliance requirements.
· Coordinate efforts with other corporate legal and senior management staff regarding corporate and project requirements to ensure maximum value and appropriate risk management.
· Identify critical project risk issues and make recommendations.
· Cross-team collaboration and coordination of legal workload with colleagues.
· Work as a team and as an effective manager of resources, both internal and external.
· 8+ years of experience as a legal practitioner with primary focus in energy project finance. Law degree required (J.D.) and must be admitted in a U.S. jurisdiction to practice law.
· Must have prior experience in the development and construction of power facilities or infrastructure for an energy project developer or other energy company. Experience leading deals is required.
· Prior experience in managing the legal aspects of complex energy project financings with complicated security and collateral arrangements. Must have experience in drafting and reviewing project contracts and financing agreements.
· Experience as in-house counsel preferred but not required. Training with top tier law firm preferred.
· Ability to identify risks and propose solutions to mitigate risks.
· Ability to handle multiple projects and work successfully in a dynamic team environment.
· Proficient in Windows environment, MS Office, Outlook, Excel; technically savvy.
· Corporate or transactional attorneys without prior energy project experience should not apply.
First Wind - 12 months ago
At First Wind, wind is the first and last item in its business model. The vertically integrated energy company (formerly UPC Wind) develops,...