Work Location: Madison, WI
We are seeking an uncommon professional to join our team as an Associate General Counsel- Privacy & Data Protection.
Relocation assistance will be provided for the ideal candidate.
Associate General Counsel - Privacy & Data Protection will be the primary relationship manager and point of contact for our Direct to Consumer business. The person will specialize in direct and digital media and data for our evolving consumer business, and must bring significant experience in a large scale direct to consumer business including data collection and usage, online and offline marketing, email, search, addressable digital media, ecommerce and social media. This role will deliver best known advice on how to appropriately use data and digital media against our insurance industry framework. Other responsibilities include coordinating the legal and compliance staff responsible for providing legal advice and compliance decisions to the entire organization in the areas of expertise assigned. The position will report directly to Senior Vice President, Corporate & Risk Governance, with a dotted line relationship to Senior Vice President, Direct to Consumer.
1. Utilizes a high degree of general business knowledge and judgment, including an in-depth understanding of CUNA Mutual Group operations, customers, programs, and plans to advise executive and senior management to help CUNA Mutual Group achieve its corporate goals and develop competitive advantages resulting from changing legal and business environments.
2. Establish close partnerships with assigned business leaders and their teams.
3. Delivers innovative legal solutions that anticipate future legal issues related to product, program, customer and operational needs of CUNA Mutual Group.
4. Matches legal resource utilized to the level of risk and complexity.
5. Provide mentoring and coaching to other attorneys.
6. Proactively develops internal and external relationships in area of expertise that can be leveraged to gain insight on issues and best practices.
7. Develops relationships with all levels of leaders that results in counsel being sought in area of expertise.
8. Authority and responsibility to assist clients in the development of strategic and business plans and procedures in conjunction with Executive and Senior management.
9. Matches legal resource utilized to the level of risk and complexity.
10. Actively monitors industry legal and business developments; identifies and drives business changes given developments in area of expertise and businesses impacted.
11. Educate clients on legal developments in area of expertise.
1. Juris Doctor or L.L.B. Degree and continuing legal education within areas of specialty and responsibility.
2. Significant experience in a large scale direct to consumer business including data collection and usage, online and offline marketing, email, search, addressable digital media, ecommerce and social media.
3. Authorized to practice law in the State of Wisconsin or other acceptable jurisdiction.
4. Generally up to ten years of legal experience with overall expert status in specific law areas.
5. Ability to recognize current and anticipate future developments in the legal environment, marketplace and CUNA Mutual Group products, programs and operations.
6. Ability to understand and use economic, financial, and industry data to appropriately balance business opportunities and legal risks.
7. Ability to interact with clients and other parties in a manner that inspires a high degree of trust, invites consultation and promotes communication.
8. Significant degree of business acumen to enable attorney to evaluate and propose alternatives that are not only legally permissible but which also make sense from a business standpoint.
9. Strong analytical skills, creativity and significant experience in analyzing and providing practical, effective solutions to significant, complex transactions and issues.
10. Ability to lead, organize and coordinate committees, work groups, project teams and/or task forces and effectively access CUNA Mutual Group resources.
11. Ability to negotiate, clearly communicate and to persuade others.
12. Ability to prioritize work and to work under pressure; ability to maximize results using limited resources.
CUNA Mutual Group’s insurance, retirement and investment products provide financial security and protection to credit unions and their members worldwide. As a dynamic and growing company, we strive to create a culture of performance, high standards and defined values.
Along with an excellent benefits package, our staff is engaged, rewarded for performance, and encouraged to grow professionally and personally. Our future is driven by our people, and our people are driven to deliver value through innovation, involvement and determination. If you want to be recognized for your results and empowered to reach your potential, we urge you to apply.
In return for your skills and contributions, we offer highly competitive compensation and benefit packages, significant professional growth, and the opportunity to win and be rewarded.
Experience Level: 8+ years
Area of Interest(s): Legal, Ethics, Compliance
Type of Job: Full Time
Job ID: ARJ20122906-35150