Position: Associate Legal Patent Counsel - 5483 Job Code: 5483
Location: GOJO Plaza, Akron, OH
- Full time
- Work Hours 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- No direct reports initially
- 10%-20% travel required, possibly some international travel
- Position located at GOJO Plaza in Akron, OH
Acts as a proactive business partner by analyzing and offering solutions through the patent process. Prevents and minimizes risk exposure to the enterprise through proactive business partnering and the innovative practice of law. Owes fiduciary responsibility to the company. Creates corporate presence through proactive business partnering by offering solutions from legal perspective.
- Promotes ethics and high standards of industry leadership to protect business reputation.
- Assists with identifying inventions that can be patented and reviews invention disclosures with inventors and business partners such as R&D and Product Management.
- Drafts and prosecutes patent applications before the USPTO.
- Manages communications with inventors and outside counsel during preparation and prosecution of domestic and foreign patent applications.
- Educates company employees on patents and the patent process.
- Conducts patentability searches.
- Assists with technical issues in IP due diligence, licensing, and litigation.
- Represents company before quasi-judicial or administrative agencies of government.
- Scans laws and regulations to stay current.
- Manages intellectual property protection.
- Assists in execution of corporate IP strategy.
- Protects confidential information.
Intellectual property protection; legal and regulatory compliance; risk assessment; fiduciary responsibility; timely and accurate information; communication; staying current with legal decisions which may impact business; ethical practice; process development
Additional General/Technical Skills Required
- Bachelor’s Degree in a Science, Technology or Engineering field, preferably with a mechanical or electrical background
- Licensed to practice before the USPTO
- Two to six years’ experience in corporate area of law firm or in-house legal department of manufacturing environment with a strong patent preparation and prosecution background.
- Experience using word processing and data basing programs required.
- Regulatory agencies
- General business
- Corporate operations
- Law and Government-Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules
- English Language-Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar
- Customer and Personal Service — Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Analysis skills
- Project management skills
- Priority setting
- Active Listening — Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking — Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking — Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension — Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Complex Problem Solving — Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Judgment and Decision Making — Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Writing — Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Negotiation — Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
- Persuasion — Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Active Learning — Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Apply for this position Return to Job Listings
Send position to a friend
Recruiters, Search Agencies or others referring candidates to GOJO Industries, Inc. without written authorization from GOJO Industries, Inc. Human Resources will not be compensated in any way for their referral even if GOJO Industries, Inc. hires the candidate.
GOJO is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Employer M/F/D/V. Applicants must be lawfully authorized to work in the United States. GOJO does not seek or respond to unsolicited resumes sent electronically for positions that are not listed below.
GOJO Industries wants to go where other forms of good hygiene haven't. The company makes hand cleaners for professional and consumer...