The Law Offices of Charles Peter Hopkins, II, is a CNA Staff Counsel Office located in Red Bank, New Jersey. The office is expanding and looking to add a newly admitted attorney.
Responsible for all aspects of a defense litigation case load of moderate complexity. Supports and works with other members of the firm, as necessary, in the defense of cases handled by the firm. Has ongoing relationship and accountability for the department or specialty being served. Work assignments consist of legal tasks involving problems of moderate complexity.
EsEssential Duties & Responsibilities
Primarily acts in a supporting role to the more senior attorneys and to carry a small case load in the defense of a variety of negligence defense cases. Responsible for handling matters as assigned. Responsible for all aspects of the defense of litigation. Reports to claims divisions and clients on all developments in the case as required by the claims department. May supervise, train, or mentor paralegals or other supporting attorneys.
2. Participates in the preparation of the defense in litigation.
Tries cases. Makes all court appearances, engages in trial preparation, motions, discovery and negotiations.
3. Performs all legal work as necessary on personal case load and supports other attorneys as assigned.
Works independently in resolving legal cases with minimal supervision.
- Provides research, legal analysis, factual information, counsel and guidance on legal questions or issues. Keeps current with legal developments.
- Prepares position papers on various legal issues and interpretation of contractual provisions.
4. Occasionally may work with external clients while resolving legal issues.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Director or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. Knowledge of the theories, principles, practices and procedures of litigation management within an insurance organization.
2. Good verbal and written communication, negotiation and presentation skills.
3. Strong negotiation, consultative and facilitation skills with the ability to effectively interact with all internal and external business partners,
4. Ability to exercise independent judgement, and to work with and maintain confidential and sensitive information.
5. Strong analytical and problem solving skills, and senior level skill in managing ambiguous situations and issues.
6. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software.
Education & Experience
Bachelor's degree with JD, and admission to the bar of New Jersey.
2. Background in medicine or Architects & Engineering issues a plus.
Typically a minimum one to two years of law firm and/or trial experience desirable.
United States-New Jersey-Red Bank
CLAIM-Law Claim Legal-E