Associate Vice President for Strategic Communications and Marketing
Development and Alumni Affairs / UF Foundation, Inc.
The UF Office of Development and Alumni Affairs seeks a dynamic leader to oversee the Communications department in the role of Associate Vice President for Strategic Communications and Marketing (AVP-SCM).
About the UF Office of Development and Alumni Affairs (ODAA)
The ODAA exists to promote UF, increase philanthropy, manage and grow UF’s endowment, ensure the appropriate use of funds and pursue best governance practices. The ODAA completed a seven-year capital campaign in fall 2012 and experienced its most successful year in UF history. Although UF’s capital campaign, “Florida Next” won’t begin until 2016, the UF Foundation has adopted a strategic plan called UF Preeminence, which will guide the ODAA through 2016. UF Preeminence, which consists of seven initiatives that guide the strategic plan, will help position our unit as the gold standard among our cohort group.
About the University of Florida
The University of Florida (UF) is a major, public, comprehensive, land-grant, research institution. It is the flagship of Florida’s diverse higher education system. UF has a long history of established programs in international education, research, and service. It is one of only 17 public, land-grant universities that belong to the Association of American Universities, and the only member institution in the state of Florida. UF is consistently ranked among the nation's top universities: No. 19 in U.S. News & World Report "Top Public Universities" (September 2011); No. 2 in Kiplinger's "Best Values in Public Colleges" (2012) and No. 3 in the Princeton Review Best Value Public Colleges (2012).
The AVP-SCM will provide leadership, vision and strategic planning for all advancement communications. This includes, but is not limited, to brand development, advancement marketing, electronic marketing and communications, publications, content development, donor communication and relations, events and stewardship and quality control and assurance. The AVP-SCM will have creative flexibility in designing communication initiatives in alignment with the University’s identity.
The ideal candidate will possess:
• Master’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and seven years of appropriate experience; or a bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and nine years of appropriate experience.
• 8+ years of broad marketing and communications experience and demonstrated success with institutional marketing and brand building.
• 5+ years of progressive donor relations/ stewardship experience.
• 5+ years of proven leadership/ senior management ability.
• Superior strategic skills with a strong grasp of industry best practices and a holistic understanding of all aspects of communications, marketing and messaging.
• Solid understanding of the advantages and drawbacks of traditional and emerging media, in conveying development and alumni relations messages in ways that engage and excite constituents.
• Experience working in a complex environment serving many internal clients and external constituents with the ability to network throughout the University, serving as a resource and identifying resources.
• Collaborative and collegial orientation, eager and able to engage a diverse stakeholder base, and able to build strong professional relationships. A convener who is able to synthesize many ideas and produce products that address a wide variety of goals and objectives.
• Record of creative and entrepreneurial management; the ability to build, lead, mentor and motivate staff; and the ability to encourage change and growth in both people and programs. A strong commitment to personal and professional development, and the ability to build a strong, autonomous and collaborative team.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to work well with people at all levels of an organization. Strong personal integrity and work ethic, as well as a sense of humor and perspective.
• A deep appreciation for and ability to articulate the academic goals and ambitions of the University of Florida, especially with respect to the case for philanthropic support.
• Strong communication ability, success in providing consultative thought leadership for senior leaders on communications and strategy initiatives and experience developing content for a wide variety of communications activities and platforms
• Discretion and judgment in working with highly confidential information is necessary.
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience and includes an excellent benefits package. The absence of state income tax is an additional plus!
At the UF Office of Development and Alumni Affairs (ODAA) and the University of Florida Foundation, Inc. (UFF) we have adopted the GOLD Standard and that means we are committed to being the best each day; that is the Florida way. Consider advancing your career in development with a proven leader in academic philanthropy and become a member of the Gator Nation.
This position is open until filled. Resumes will be reviewed beginning September 27, 2013. Qualified candidates should complete an on-line application at: http://jobs.ufl.edu, Requisition # 0903781. Upload a cover letter, resume and list of three references. For further information about this position, please contact:
Tara Blythe, Associate Vice President
Talent Management, Strategy and Planning
Telephone: (352) 392-5473
The University of Florida is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to diversity. Women, minorities and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information about advancement opportunities with the UF ODAA, please visit our website at http://www.uff.ufl.edu
Council for Advancement & Support of Education - 6 months ago