Asst City Attorney I-Civil Division C
Job ID: 21166
Full Time or Part Time: Full Time
Annual: $71,050.00 up to $93,777.00
ALL applicants MUST submit a completed:
* City of Minneapolis application (online or paper).
* A copy of your Attorneys license
* Resume (must be submitted prior to the job closing date) Please email your resume to Daniel.firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Response to supplement/screening questions
Applicants failing to follow the application process will not be considered. Resumes are not being accepted in place of an official City of Minneapolis application.
Under general supervision of the Litigation Manager, the Assistant City Attorney I assigned to the Litigation Team performs professional legal work of ordinary difficulty and complexity involving civil litigation and related matters. Represents the City of Minneapolis, and its various departments, boards, and commissions, in civil litigation and related matters, including advice concerning investigation and development of cases, broad policy level guidance, and representation.
(Including, but not limited to the following)
* Handles civil lawsuits, administrative matters and claims from inception of the matter through trial and appeal before federal, state and administrative tribunals, including cases related to ordinance issues, employment, civil rights, tort claims, government authority, environmental issues, land use, and real estate.
* Conducts legal research for pending lawsuits and other matters and provides oral and written advice to the City's elected officials, departments and independent boards and commissions.
* Conducts discovery and takes other actions necessary to prepare civil matters for trial or hearing.
* Assists in adjusting damage claims, and in cases arising under the Workers Compensation Act. Respond to inquiries from attorneys, court personnel, government officials and members of the general public.
Office and courtroom
Jurist Doctorate Degree from an accredited Law school
The following experience is desired.
Jury trial experience.
Federal court experience
Federal court litigation experience.
State court litigation experience.
Excellent writing skills.
Contributor to, or editor of, a law review or law journal.
Experience in the use of online law resources such as Westlaw.
Experience in representing a public entity as a lawyer or student attorney.
Experience as a lawyer in private law firms or as internal legal counsel in a corporation or non-profit organization.
Experience in a judicial clerkship.
Licensed to practice Law in the State of Minnesota and in Federal Courts.
Please answer the screenings questions in the online application.
You may obtain the supplemental questions by contacting email@example.com
The City has determined that a criminal background check and/or qualifications check may be necessary for certain positions with this job title. Applicants may be required to sign an informed consent form allowing the City to obtain their criminal history and/or verify their qualifications in connection with the position sought. Applicants who do not sign the informed consent form will not be further considered for the position.
The City of Minneapolis is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
* Thorough understanding of relevant constitutional principles, pertinent provisions of substantive civil law, the rules of civil procedure and the laws of evidence.
* Knowledge of the City Charter and legislative acts applicable to the Citys financial, organizational and functional procedures, local ordinances, state laws, established precedents and sources of legal reference.
* Knowledge of and the ability to use on-line law resources such as Westlaw.
* Knowledge of a wide range of legal issues and precedents pertinent to civil law.
* Good oral and written communication skills.
* Forty-five credits of continuing legal education courses every three years.
The examination will consist of a rating of training and experience and/or an oral examination (100%). The City of Minneapolis reserves the right to limit the number of candidates in the exam process. Since the examination selection process may consist of a rating of training and experience, you are encouraged to be as complete and thorough as possible on your application form, supplemental application form (if applicable) and other support documentation/materials. Minimum passing score 70.00
MinnesotaJobs.com - 14 months ago
Experience award-winning style at the revitalized Minneapolis Marriott City Center, a Metrodome hotel in the heart of downtown consistently...