Human Rights First is a non-profit, nonpartisan international human rights organization based in New York and Washington DC. We build respect for human rights and the rule of law to help ensure the dignity to which everyone is entitled and to stem intolerance, tyranny, and violence.
Human Rights First is committed to recruiting, retaining, developing, and promoting staff across all programs and departments from a diversity of backgrounds, including members of racial and ethnic minorities, LGBTI people, people with disabilities, people of all socioeconomic backgrounds, people of all nationalities, and veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. We believe that a diverse staff and an inclusive work environment that welcomes a range of perspectives help make our advocacy work stronger and more effective.
The Refugee Protection Program works to provide indigent asylum seekers with quality legal representation in their asylum cases. The program also advocates for legal reform and policy change on issues affecting asylum seekers in the United States.
The Asylum Representation Project (ARP) Volunteer will work as part of the Refugee Protection Program team. He or she will work closely with the Leon Levy Fellow to help increase high-quality legal representation for indigent asylum-seekers in New York City.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: College degree
- Assist in conducting intake interviews with potential asylum clients by taking notes, providing interpretation services (depending on foreign language ability);
- Help draft and edit interview-based case summaries, including extensive country research;
- Help compile and distribute case background materials for pro bono counsel;
- Assist staff with administrative tasks, including communicating with potential clients and translators, and data entry when necessary;
- Assist with preparation for trainings, meetings, special projects, and other events;
- Other tasks as needed.
ANNUAL SALARY : This is an unpaid volunteer position.
START DATE: Immediately
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: April 30, 2013 . Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Applicants must send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample by email to DelChiaroG@HumanRightsFirst.org.
The subject line of the email must be: Asylum Representation Project Volunteer.
Only selected applicants will be contacted for interviews. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
Human Rights First - 17 months ago