This position would process, evaluate and document all monitoring efforts of Student Athletes to the Athletic Director, Compliance Director and respective Head Coach. The Athletic Academic Director is required to abide by the rules and regulations established by Houston Baptist University, any league affiliation that HBU might have as well as the rules established by the NCAA. This is a full time, twelve-month position reporting to the Director of Athletics.
- Serve as a representative of a Christian University displaying courtesy, tact consideration, and discretion in all interactions with other members of the HBU community and with the public.
- Coordinate and monitor the academic standing, initial and continuing eligibility for all student-athletes in relation to NCAA, member conferences, and HBU regulations.
- Assist in scheduling student-athletes for classes that do not conflict with practice, playing or travel schedules as to minimize missed class time.
- Ensure student athletes are meeting progress towards a degree and fulfilling all academic requirements according to NCAA and University regulations.
- Compile data and research necessary information for the preparation of annual and special reports requested from HBU by the NCAA, member conferences, Department of Education, the Athletics Department, and others. Work with IR (Institutional Research) on APR, GSR, APP, graduation rates Operates within the rules as required by the conference and the NCAA
- Administrative duties are required as needed and would include: grade checks, class check, monitor full-time enrollment daily and study hall coverage.
- Mentor students on an individual basis and in groups in developing life-skills, character building activities, and modeling Christian values for students
- Other duties as assigned
MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES :
Directly supervises one or more salaried workers. The nature of responsibility is immediate supervision and management over individuals within the department, in addition to providing work leadership. May contribute to the decision or have responsibility for the following: hiring and terminating, scheduling and assigning work, measuring performance, promoting and determining pay.
- Possess a high level of integrity and a strong sense of ethical principles.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and problem-solving skills and the ability to communicate with numerous University constituencies in an effective manner.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of NCAA bylaws, conference and university academic requirements and athletic regulations preferred.
- Knowledge of Banner and Compliance Assistant preferred. MS Excel skills required to work with HBU’s in house progress toward degree program.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE : Bachelor’s degree required; Prefer Master’s degree. A minimum of three years experience in the area of initial and continuing eligibility at a Division I institution in compliance with NCAA rules and regulations preferred.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, REGISTRATIONS : None
WORK ENVIRONMENT :
- Ability to provide clear direction, delegate responsibility, motivates others, develop others’ skills and talents and attract and recruit talent.
- Shows consideration for others, listens effectively, cooperates well with others, establishes and maintains relationships, is adaptive, remains calm under stress and is persevering.
- Demonstrates good judgment and establishes clear objectives and priorities.
- Is self-reliant, decisive, proactive, influential, and enthusiastic and makes a positive impression on others.
- Can anticipate others’ concerns and is customer-service oriented, committed to quality, driven and has strong communication skills.
While performing the essential duties of the job, the employee may occasionally work in outside weather conditions and be physically active. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Houston Baptist University - 17 months ago