U.S. News & World Report is seeking a motivated, experienced, full-time Autos Online Editor/Technical Writer for our consumer-oriented automotive site, usnews.com/cars . This position is based in our Washington, D.C. office.
U.S. News has earned a reputation as the leading provider of service news and information that helps consumers make decisions, for example with Best Colleges, Best Hospitals and Best Cars. U.S. News Best Cars helped more than 40 million car shoppers in the past year through rankings and reviews of new and used cars.
The primary responsibility of the Autos Online Editor will be to write consumer-oriented new and used car reviews based on opinions from automotive critics and safety and reliability data that have been translated into scores. This Online Editor will synthesize these opinions, data and scores into a cohesive review that outlines the strengths and weaknesses of a car and how it stacks up against its competition so that consumers can make informed decisions.
The Online Editor/Technical Writer will do the following:
- Write clear, concise, objective new and used car reviews based on scored research to help consumers
- Write news articles and blog posts, feature stories and buying guide content that aids our users with car shopping
- Research monthly manufacturer car deals, enter deal information into content management system and write deal summaries
- Fact check and edit his/her own reviews and content, as well as those of others
Enthusiasm about cars and the automotive market is a big help, but the best person for the job will be just as enamored with writing about minivans as they are with writing about sports cars. Most importantly, the best candidate for this job will be passionate about helping consumers navigate the new and used car market.
- 2-4 years professional experience in technical writing or journalism for the web
- Expertise combining and writing about quantitative and qualitative data
- Experience working with online content management systems
- Moderate Microsoft Word and basic Microsoft Excel skills
- Moderate knowledge of search engine optimization best practices
- Knowledge and experience with AP style
- Ability to meet deadlines and be extremely detail-oriented
- Solid copy editing skills a plus
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
Please email your cover letter, resume, 2-3 clips and salary requirements to:
Liz Opsitnik, Deputy Managing Editor, Autos
Please include “Autos Online Editor” in the subject line of your email.
U.S. News & World Report - 10 months ago
Founded in 1933, the weekly national news magazine U.S.News & World Report is devoted to reporting and to analyzing national and...