Opal Labs is a Portland-based startup looking to change the way the world does business. We’ve developed a cloud-hosted platform called Opal as a base for beautifully-crafted, truly useful social enterprise applications. We recently released Brainstorms, the first commercially-available application on Opal, which rethinks how companies can unlock the innovation potential of their entire employee base.
Brainstorms has been rolled out to an ever-growing list of customers, including Method, BP, Ruby Receptionists, and our launch partner Arup (architects and engineers of the Bird’s Nest Stadium, Sydney Opera House, and Portland Aerial Tram). We created Brainstorms in collaboration with Arup, based on insights gathered from their employees.
We are now expanding our small team so we can continue to evolve Brainstorms and put more resources into our next Opal application. At Opal Labs, we’re deeply driven by product quality and user experience. We meticulously design and engineer everything we do, which involves rigorous user testing, pushing the limits of the latest web technologies, and sweating details into the wee hours of the night. We pull this off with a lot of hard work and, just as importantly, a lot of silliness.
As an engineer at Opal Labs, you’ll join a small, passionate team that loves finding ways to do the “impossible”, playing with the latest web technologies, and building beautiful things to make people's lives better. The Opal platform and APIs are written in Rails, powering Backbone.js-based applications. Day-to-day responsibilities of being an engineer at Opal Labs include:
To handle these responsibilities, you’ll want to have these skills:
- Evolving the Rails-based backend architecture and API
- Profiling code to track down performance issues, writing test coverage, and auditing the codebase for security concerns
- Ensuring our platform can scale to meet expected (and unexpected) demand, which may involve exploring different technologies
- Using with Git/GitHub to manage our code, GitHub issues to manage our tickets, and Heroku/AWS to deploy our code and manage our infrastructure
- Taking part in brainstorms to help set product direction and think up the next big thing
- Reading about and playing around with technologies that we may adopt
- Lending a helping hand wherever and whenever necessary
At Opal Labs, we don't have don't separate the designers and engineers into two teams; instead, we have one product team. We believe the best products and ideas come from a seamless integration of design and technology, and that the respective skills should naturally influence each other. This means engineers have a voice from the beginning of a project's lifecycle and designers are able to shape a project up until it ships. Some other benefits of working at Opal Labs are:
- Advanced knowledge of Ruby/Rails and Postgres
- Familiarity with AWS/EC2/Heroku (we plan to migrate to a custom EC2 infrastructure next year)
- Great communication (even under pressure) and willingness to be open and collaborative
Our team is deeply invested in creating a culture that promotes a collective genius, passion for perfection, and humor that our customers will feel in every pixel. There are no individual egos at Opal Labs, only a team ego that strives to change the world. If you’d like to join us on this journey, we’d love to talk with you: please email
with a cover letter speaking to why you feel this role is a good fit for you, and also include code samples or a link to your GitHub profile.
- A full-time, salaried position
- Full healthcare coverage
- Company-provided computer (laptop + display)
- Stock options
- Relocation assistance—Not in Portland, but want to be? We can make that happen!
- A tight-knit, very supportive (and sometimes very weird) team—we pride ourselves on our culture
- A fun, open office with a foosball table, great food options nearby, and regular train horns