This position is located in our newest property addition in The Americas. The Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, luxury hotel comprises 127 spacious guestrooms and suites, providing guests with unparalleled views of the city. Facilities include an all-day dining restaurant and lounge bar, as well as a wide selection of meeting rooms, including a 130-seat ballroom. The extensive spa facilities are complete with 14 treatment rooms and will feature signature therapies for which Mandarin Oriental spas are renowned.
Duties and Supporting Responsibilities
Success Profile for this role (Hotel competencies)
- Support company's philosophy and company culture through the use of Pillars of Legendary Quality Experiences on a daily basis to ensure Guest Satisfaction and the achievement of our Mission Statement
- Support company's philosophy and company culture through the use of Departmental Legendary Quality Experiences on a daily basis to ensure Guest Satisfaction and the achievement of our Mission Statement
- Support company's philosophy and company culture through the use of Guiding Principles and D.E.L.I.G.H.T as part of ensuring Guest Satisfaction and the achievement of our Mission Statement.
- Provide leadership and support to the assistant banquet manager, banquet captains, and banquet service staff.
- Read and familiarize oneself with all Banquet Event Orders
- Read and familiarize with all Group Resumes
- Generates scheduling for all banquet service positions
- Generates function planning and staff distribution.
- Obtain guarantees for food and beverage functions
- Attend all pre-conference
- Attend daily BEO meeting
- Communicate all group information/changes to existing information to appropriate hotel colleagues in an accurate and timely manner
- Maintain contact with clients while on property
- Remain available to hotel colleagues via radio (with earpiece) while on property at all times
- Coordinate all aspects of banquet services as assigned by self to include but not limited to: Food and beverage requirements, Timing of events, Audio visual requirements, Special attention guests, Room type allocation, Function room setup, Special meal requests, Billing instructions, Authorized signatures, Box storage and delivery, Power requirements, Key requirements, Group hospitality/office/registration desk requirements, Refer business to approved suppliers of service/products, as necessary
- Additional duties include but are not limited to: Assist with development of yearly budget, Assist with development of monthly forecast, Monitor payroll of department, Review departmental PAFs, Assign conference groups and social events to banquet captains, Attend weekly department head meeting, Attend scheduled food and beverage meeting, Revise standard and procedures for department, as necessary
Customer Focus Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information (or preferences) and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with both internal and external customers and gains their trust and respect.
Managing Vision & Purpose Communicates a compelling and inspired vision or sense of core purpose; talks beyond today; talks about possibilities; is optimistic; creates mileposts and symbols to rally support behind the vision and can inspire and motivate the team. Makes the MOHG mission and vision sharable by everyone and embodies our Guiding Principles.
Drive for Results Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
Functional & Technical Skills Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
Organizing Can marshal resources (people, funding, material, and support) to get things done; can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; uses resources effectively and efficiently; arranges information and files in a useful manner. Sets clear goals and responsibilities, monitors progress and results.
Problem Solving Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at the first answers. Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom and experience.
Time Management Uses his/her time effectively and efficiently; values time; concentrates his/her efforts on the more important priorities; gets more done in less time than others; can attend to a broader range of activities; makes decisions in a timely manner.
Developing Others Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments; holds frequent development discussions; is aware of each person's career goals; constructs compelling development plans and executes them; encourages people to accept developmental moves; will take on those who need help and further development; cooperates with the developmental and talent management system in the organization; is a people builder.
Interpersonal Savvy Relates well to all kinds of people, up, down, and sideways, inside and outside the organization; builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can diffuse even high-tension situations comfortably.
Motivating Others Creates a climate in which people want to do their best; can motivate many kinds of direct reports and team or project members; can assess each person's hot button and use it to get the best out of him/her; pushes tasks and decisions down; empowers others; invites input from each person and shares ownership and visibility; makes each individual feel his/her work is important; is someone people like working for and with.
Building Effective Teams Blends people into teams when needed; creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; defines success in terms of the whole team; creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
Directing Others Is good at establishing clear directions; sets stretching goals; distributes the workload appropriately; lays out work in a well-planned and organized manner; maintains two-way dialogue with others on work and results; brings out the best in people; is a clear communicator.
Fairness to Direct Reports Treats direct reports equitably; acts fairly; has candid discussions; doesn't have hidden agenda; doesn't give preferential treatment; provides timely and appropriate feedback.
Ethics & Values Adheres to an appropriate (for the setting) and effective set of core values and beliefs during both good and bad times; acts in line with those values; rewards the right values and disapproves of others; practices what he/she preaches.
Integrity & Humility Is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; keeps confidences; admits mistakes and flaws. Can get things done quietly without unnecessary noise; is careful to make others comfortable; is authentic; helps others save face in difficult situations; maximizes the contribution of all; encourages the expression of viewpoints from all concerned; is modest and self-effacing; respects the views of others.
Self Development Is personally committed to and actively works to continuously improve himself/herself; understands that different situations and levels may call for different skills and approaches; works to deploy strengths; works on compensating for weakness and limits. Picks up on the need to change personal, interpersonal, and managerial behaviour and seeks feedback.
Composure Is cool under pressure; does not become defensive or irritated when under pressure or when times are tough; is considered mature; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; doesn't show frustration when resisted or blocked; is a settling influence in a crisis.
- Reading, writing and oral proficiency in the English language.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule in order to accomplish all major responsibilities and tasks.
- Must be a self-motivator and motivator of others.
- Must work in a safe, prudent and organized manner.
- Must have mathematical skills, computer software aptitude and some hotel operation knowledge.
- Knowledge of specific hospitality industry applications is desirable (Delphi and SMS preferred).
- Must be able to relate to all levels of management.
- Must have a minimum of 2 years experience in role of Banquets Manger in a luxury hotel property.
- Must have the ability to handle multiple tasks at one time.
- Must have superior organizational skills.
Each of the items listed is considered an essential function of the position. However, the duties, responsibilities and requirements presented in this job description are intended to be broad based and high level and should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all roles or responsibilities for the position. The Company reserves the right to alter the duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Prior experience in a renovation or pre-opening environment
It is Company policy to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act, including by providing reasonable accommodations that do not constitute an undue hardship on the Company. Employees or applicants should direct requests for accommodation to Director of Human Resources.
Mandarin Oriental - 18 months ago