The Photon Sciences Directorate at Brookhaven National Laboratory is seeking an experienced project manager and/or synchrotron beamline scientist to coordinate and manage the development of a suite of new beamlines at National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II). NSLS-II is a new 3 rd generation synchrotron facility being constructed on Long Island, New York, with extremely high brightness and exceptional beam stability over a wide spectral range. As one of beamline project managers at NSLS-II, the selected candidate will provide project management oversight and direction for the project to ensure its successful completion on schedule and on budget
Providing overall direction for project planning and execution to ensure the project is technically sound and meets its scientific mission and stakeholders’ expectations;
Organizing project and design reviews, and documenting review results and responses;
Developing, together with the Division Directors, human resource plans necessary to complete the Project and ensure an effective transition to operations;
Providing overall directions for the procurement strategy, and day-to-day management oversight for procurement activities and schedules;
Developing and implementing the overall risk management approach, including the risk analysis and mitigation plans.
- BS in science or engineering, and a minimum of 10 years of experience in managing construction or operation of scientific user facilities.
- Be able to provide executive-level management oversight on design, construction, and transition to operations of the new beamlines and oversee execution of scientific construction projects including the areas of risk management, procurement strategy, and configuration control.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and prior experience in managing scientific/engineering groups.
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate management level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills he or she brings to the position, as well as the amount of relevant experience.
- Prior experience in project planning, execution, and reporting, and in budget and resource management and/or prior experience in construction or operation of a light source facility.
- Knowledge of best practices in synchrotron beamline designs, beamline safety requirements, and x-ray optics.
- Ph.D. in experimental physics, engineering, or related field.
Please apply to Job ID# 16299.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
BNL is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to the development of a diverse workforce.
- Medical Plans
- Life Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- On site Child Development Center, Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits.
Brookhaven National Laboratory - 21 months ago
It takes a lot of manpower to build a nation's economic and energy security. That's why there's the US Department of Energy....