POSITION: Bi-lingual Parent Educator
REPORTS TO: Program Coordinator/Supervisor
OVERVIEW: Family Focus’ mission is to promote the well-being of children from birth by supporting and strengthening their families as individual units and within their communities. We are committed to ensuring our centers provide exemplary services with innovative programs and that family support principles are integrated into every aspect of the work. This position plays a central role in fulfilling those two commitments.
The Parent Educator is responsible for providing home visitation services to birth parents with children birth to three years of age in the North Lawndale and neighboring areas. Working from a team approach, case management services are provided to enhance the overall development of teen parents enrolled in the program.
• Provide home-based services, including parent/child interaction activities to families
• Provide support, education and information on relevant topics including child development, parenting, and family life education through home and center-based services
• Conduct case-management duties including intake, referrals, developmental screenings, advocacy and termination.
• Maintain client records in accordance to professional standards, project, and funding source requirements
• Collaborate with local social service agencies in order to coordinate services for participants
• Attend weekly team meetings and case staffing
• Present case material and request information from other center staff
• Represent organization at meetings and conferences as requested
• Meets weekly with Project Director to discuss and review cases
• Administer and record required screenings
• Keep records up to date, i.e. immunization history, educational status, etc. for participants and their children
• Attends and participates in all meetings, conferences and in-service trainings, required by Family Focus and The Illinois Birth to Three Institute
• Facilitate groups at the center and collaborating organizations
• Perform other duties as assigned
Mandatory Job Qualifications
• A Bachelor degree is required.
• At least five years’ experience in Child Development, Early Childhood Education, Social work or related field.
• Knowledge and understanding of Lawndale community
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Knowledge of Early Childhood Education
• Knowledge of issues of maternal/child health and child abuse
• Demonstrated written and oral communication skills
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Knowledge of community and local resources
• Requires extensive local travel and some evening and weekend hours
• Must have access to reliable and efficient transportation that will allow for the
completion of caseload responsibility
NPO.net - 23 months ago