Bilingual Bicultural/Teaching of English as a Second Language BLBC/TESL Specialist
The Chicago Teachers’ Center at Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU) invites applications for a Bilingual Bicultural/Teaching of English as a Second Language BLBC/TESL Specialist.
About Northeastern Illinois University:
Northeastern Illinois University is a comprehensive university, serving 12,000 students, with locations throughout Chicago. NEIU is the only four-year public university in the Midwest designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution, and consistently has been ranked by US News and World Report as one of the most ethnically diverse universities in the Midwest. For more information visit us at www.neiu.edu .
About the Chicago Teachers’ Center:
Since its founding in 1978, the College of Education’s Chicago Teachers’ Center has been an innovator in developing programs to improve urban education in Chicago schools through collaborative partnerships. The Center makes its wide array of resources and programs available to teachers, university students, and to the general public.
The BLBC/TESL Specialist will assist project staff and university faculty in the design, planning and implementation of the ENLITEN assessment and professional development programs in partner schools, including support to faculty in a process to streamline BLBC and ESL professional preparation for teachers. This position will coordinate and/or lead project efforts among the staff of Chicago Teachers’ Center, NEIU faculty and teachers and administrators of designated schools in the assessment of school-based programmatic and pedagogical needs of English Learners. The BLBC/TESL Specialist will work closely with the Project Director and staff with a focus on identifying strategies to improve instruction for English Learners, while collaboratively supporting the development of documentation and evaluation of final program products.
- Master’s degree in Bilingual Education, Teaching English as a Second Language or related field is required.
- Minimum of five (5) years teaching or program leadership experience in schools with large numbers of English Learners required.
- Demonstrated success designing, conducting and documenting professional development related to improving instruction for English Learners across the curriculum, and supporting culturally relevant learning based on standards.
- Demonstrated success developing effective and collaborative partnerships, including school-based relationships with administrators and teachers in large, diverse school systems.
- Excellent communication, writing and organizational skills
- Bilingual and Bi-literate Spanish required and knowledge of an additional language preferred.
Salary for the position is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Send letter of interest, current vitae, graduate school transcripts, names and phone numbers of three professional references (including current supervisor) to the screening committee chair: Screening Committee Chair, BLBC/TESL Specialist position; Chicago Teachers’ Center at Northeastern Illinois University; 770 N. Halsted St., 4th Floor, Chicago, IL 60642-5972 or via email preferably as a single pdf to email@example.com .
Review of applications begins December 1, 2012 and continues until the position is filled. Preference will be given to candidates who apply by December 1, 2012.
NEIU values the inclusion of a broad spectrum of students, staff, and faculty in the life of the University. We celebrate and foster global perspectives. We encourage the open and respectful expression of ideas and differences in thoughts, experiences, and opinions.
Northeastern Illinois University is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer and Invites Applications from Women and Minorities as well as Other Qualified Individuals.
Northeastern Illinois University - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard