In this position, the Billing Supervisor is responsible for billing and claims processing services for Medical Supply & Mobility. This position will work closely with Customer Service Representatives (CSR) and Patient Care Service Representatives (PSR) to complete all billing functions required. The Billing Supervisor assists with the day to day operations of MSMs billing department with responsibilities including, but not limited to, supervision of personnel, participating in budgeting, financial management and physician practice management, marketing and public relations, employer and patient relations, and quality improvement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Billing and Claims Processing
Posts charges to patient accounts.
Prepares, verifies, and sends electronic and paper claims to insurance payers.
Research incomplete, incorrect, or outstanding claims and submits claims with knowledge of all insurance plans and contractual arrangements affecting payments.
Investigates and resolves claims submission problems with insurance payers and reviews new and existing insurance claims processing information.
Posts payments and adjustments to patient accounts.
Documents all communication with insurance payers in Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system.
Identifies accounts with unpaid balances over set number of days and follows in-house collection protocols.
Handles provider/patient complaint calls.
Processes bankruptcy notices and addresses corrections per protocol.
Prepares and maintain billing spreadsheets for accurate and timely claims processing.
Prepares and process month end/year end reports and roll up to supervisor(s).
Works with accounts payable (AP) office to request and process cost transfers.
Processes payroll deduct requests.
Works directly with walk in patients that have questions/concerns with billing.
- Responsible for primary oversight of DME billing functions such as processing, denials and follow up on accounts
- Oversees write-offs, work orders, insurance processing and verification, patient chart maintenance, accuracy of billing, payment processing.
- Works to resolve billing/insurance issues and ensure compliance with departmental financial policies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Continued.
- Provides information and facilitates communication with and between interdisciplinary healthcare providers, employer groups, and patients.
- Develops and implements overall cost effective staffing plans, schedules staff and confirms time records
- Interviews, orients, trains, counsels, mentors, disciplines and evaluates staff
- Provides leadership and direction in resolving operational issues.
- Monitors and evaluates key processes in order to identify opportunities for improvement
- Addresses patient complaints and ensures that follow-up action is taken and documented, communicating potential patient care risks to the MSM Manager.
Education, Experience and Licensure/Certification Requirements: Requirements are representative of the minimum level of knowledge, skills and/or abilities necessary to perform the essential functions of the position
- Works collaboratively with the MSM Manager to develop and implement long-range financial goals and annual operating and capital budgets
BS degree or High School Diploma or equivalent with minimum of 5 years of supervisory experience in a health services group or physician office.
Minimum of three years experience with billing, insurance claims processing, and ICD-9 coding; experience in durable medical equipment billing preferred.
Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically within a multi-functional team.
Strong organizational skills and attention to detail .
Ability to successfully function in a fast paced, service oriented environment.
Experience in understanding and usage of computers, including the Microsoft Office Suite and preferably knowledge of billing/collections software , as well as the ability to learn applications relevant to the position.
Job Schedule: Full Time (36-40 hrs/week)
Job Shift: Day
Job Hours: M-F 8:00-5:00
Colorado Hospital Association - 16 months ago
copy to clipboard