Work Location: Filene Research Institue Madison, WI
The Filene Research Institute is looking for a unique strategic leader who is expert in brand planning, digitally fluent, and a strong team manager able to lead the Filene team and stakeholders. This person will work across Filene's disciplines to identify specific business opportunities and then use these to develop creative strategies to engage, empower, and connect Filene's current and future networks of people to achieve measurable objectives that fulfill Filene's mission. The Brand Manager will lead the overall brand strategy, communications outputs, design, marketing and voice standards.
The Brand Manager will translate business and marketing objectives into creative strategies and designs by leading internal and contracted teams as well as designing and writing her/himself. This individual will collaborate with internal team members, oversee vendors, photographers, printers and freelancers, lead brainstorming sessions, conceptualizing ideas, and create bold yet achievable plans.
The right person is an exceptional strategic leader with broad expertise in building brands in both traditional and digital media who is able to marry business strategy and user insights to the potential of design, written word, and technology.
This role will:
- Review and update current branding guidelines
- Create processes to ensure all team members follow branding guidelines
- With team input, author marketing materials for a variety of Institute products and services
- Manage the communications pipeline ensuring consistent voice and message are used as well as proper frequency.
- Author and disseminate press releases. Develop, manage, and leverage media contacts to optimize Filene coverage.
- Manage content for the Filene website per branding parameters to maximize visitors, publication downloads, and community building.
- Develop and manage business relationships and contracts with key marketing, editing, and communications partner vendors.
- Assist in developing a marketing and communications budget and manage to that budget, mitigating expenses while maintaining high quality output.
- Actively support the achievement of Filene's strategic objectives, plan and metrics.
Responsibilities for the Brand Manager include:
- Identify business needs, perform a gap analysis, and use market knowledge to develop an overall marketing, branding, and communications plan for the Institute and its products and services. Proactively engage and lead the team in the plan’s successful execution.
- Manage multiple sub-brands of Filene, both existing (ex. Cooperative Trust, i3) and unknown future ones, including those of products and services generated through research and innovation work.
- Create printed, electronic, and spoken communications in support of Filene’s internal and external communications plans. Leverage vendor partners as needed and within budget to achieve desired results.
- Leverage knowledge of social media, email marketing, and other forms of electronic communications to maximize readership and Filene awareness.
- Write and distribute press releases for publications, talent updates, events, significant achievements/milestones, and other applicable occasions.
- Develop a plan to achieve national-level performance goal media mentions, track and report media mentions, and ensure the Filene brand is well represented.
- Write and edit short, medium, and long form communications for a variety of audiences on a multitude of subjects via several channels and mediums.
- Review and edit communications and other works written by others.
- Monitor and evaluate communications metrics. Develop reporting and tracking mechanisms, modify strategy as needed, and communicate progress.
- Manage the Filene brand and communications as they relate to Filene events, Filene talent speaking and consulting gigs, and meet-ups.
- Preparation of project proposals aligning with organizational objectives and constraints and any applicable contracts resulting from those projects.
- Select participants, resources, and stakeholders for communications projects relative to budget, timelines, and desired outputs.
- Develop, design, collect, and analyze information needed to measure progress.
- Collaborate with organization leadership and project managers to publicize projects, report ongoing progress, and publish final results of projects.
- Personally market, promote, and sell Filene and its products and services to credit unions, vendor partners, and system organizations one-on-one, in small groups, and to large audiences.
The Brand Manager will have the following job requirements:
Experience Level: 5-8 years
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, or related field required
- 5+ years of branding, marketing, and writing experience required
- 5+ years of experience in website, social media, mobile, and other electronic communications. Trusted by past clients or employers as a source for ongoing digital counsel and social education.
- Demonstrate and enjoy high creative skills
- Highly literate in several digital media channels and technology
- Knowledge of financial services industry required. Credit union industry experience preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (writing and verbal) that contribute to overall organizational performance and a positive, creative work environment
- Able to provide thought leadership on current consumer trends, behavioral shifts and attitudinal dynamics of a client marketplace
- Problem structuring and strategic problem-solving skills
- Self-directed and comfortable working in entrepreneurial environments
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Comfortable speaking in front of large audiences; Excellent public speaking and presentation skills
- Extensive relationship building skills, with the ability to work with people from many disciplines and backgrounds to foster a shared sense of ownership and produce better work
- Ability to sell ideas, products, services, and processes to a sometimes reluctant audience
- Project management experience, from initiation, to ongoing management, to completion, including:
- Experience in the preparation of project proposals and contracts
- Relating the terms to budget constraints and organizational objectives
- Experience in the development, design, collection, and analysis of information needed to measure progress in terms of the metrics established for activities
- Constantly looking for ways to evolve the capabilities of the Filene Research Institute
- Up to 25% travel required, including:
- Attending various conferences, meetings, colloquiums, and other events
- Sales of Institute membership, products, and services
Area of Interest(s): Public Relations, Marketing, Communications
Type of Job: Full Time
Job ID: MML20121511-73666
CUNA Mutual Group - 21 months ago