Under general supervision performs work of moderate difficulty in the permitting and inspection of various entities for compliance with relevant codes; performs related duties as assigned.
Essential functions of this position include: driving; standing, walking and sitting to perform duties; working with and around other staff, contractors and tradesmen; working alone; vision acuity (near and far) for driving and conducting inspections; hearing and speech for ordinary conversation.
- Inspects various structures for compliance with safety codes and zoning ordinances
- Identifies violations and secures compliance
- Performs field investigations and resolves complaints
- Provides information to the public in matters relating to construction codes and ordinances
- Prepares and maintains records and reports; assists with training
- Performs related duties as assigned
Three years of building inspection experience or increasingly responsible experience in any of the building trades; OR, any combination of education, training and experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
Must obtain ICC (International Code Council), IRC (Building Inspector Certification) or ICBO certification within 3 years of employment.
Must obtain an Arizona driver's license by date of hire and maintain it throughout employment. Final job offer will be contingent upon a satisfactory 5-year Arizona Motor Vehicle Report.
This position is safety sensitive.
This position is non-exempt from overtime.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of:
- Relevant federal, State, and County codes, laws and regulations
- Principles and practices of field inspection, compliance monitoring, and enforcement
- All types of building construction, materials, methods, and tools of the trade
- Architectural and engineering plans
- Skill in:
- Interpreting applicable codes and ordinances
- Detecting violations
- Recommending appropriate measures to achieve compliance
- Ability to:
- Work safely and support the culture of workplace safety
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other agencies
- and the public
- Follow written and verbal instructions
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
Coconino County, AZ - 8 months ago