Provides basic building security for County facilities during normal business hours or after hours and on weekends and holidays. Ensures doors and windows are locked and secured during non-business hours. Reports security violations and questionable activities. Monitors buildings for damages from flooding, equipment failure or vandalism.
This is a job classification within the General/Road Maintenance job family. This classification is responsible for the front-line building security functions and does not have any lead or supervisory duties or responsibilities. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides assistance, directions and information to visitors and County employees/officials. Signs visitors in and out of assigned facilities. Escorts visitors and staff on and off building premises upon request.
- Makes rounds of each floor of assigned building and/or makes rounds of assigned buildings. Ensures doors and windows are locked and secured. Monitors security camera systems and verifies proper operation of building electronic door lock systems. Turns off lights not needed for security.
- Reports security violations, questionable activities and emergencies to appropriate authority.
- Ensures security lighting and security monitoring systems are functioning. Monitors outside areas for vagrants and other unauthorized personnel. Warns violators of rule infractions, such as loitering, skateboarding or smoking within 15 feet of building exits.
- Monitors heating and air conditioning systems for proper operation during non-business hours as directed. Checks assigned facilities for leaks, during rainstorms. Monitors buildings for equipment failure or vandalism, notifies proper emergency contacts for repair.
- Notes building repair and maintenance needs and reports these deficiencies for correction.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
One (1) year of building security or related experience;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Valid Texas Driver's License.
High School diploma or G.E.D.
Two (2) available positions
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Standard building security systems, including operations and maintenance.
- Policies, practices, procedures and methods of assigned function.
- Security surveillance systems operations and capabilities.
- Interacting positively with the public.
- Responding effectively to public inquiries, presenting a positive impression of the organization.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Follow a regular security check schedule.
- Recognize and report needed repairs, security risks and dangers.
- Understand and follow instructions and communicate effectively, as required.
- Work independently and efficiently.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and officials, and the general public.
Work Environment & Other Information:
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 25 pounds, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motion, reaching, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling, balancing, client/customer contact, squatting to perform the essential functions. Requires constant walking and standing and exposure to outside elements.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Hours: Flexible work schedule
Part-time, temporary position
Works some holidays, nights, weekends and on call as needed
Location: Various County Facilities
Department: Facilities Management
Fingerprint Background Check through Department of Public Safety
Criminal and Driving Background Check Required
Travis County - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard