The Women’s Business Development Center (WBDC) is a nationally and internationally recognized non-profit organization established in 1986 to work with women to launch new businesses and strengthen existing businesses in the Chicago area. Over the past 26 years, the WBDC has become a leader in providing direct services to women business owners and in effecting public policy changes which reflect the needs of women entrepreneurs and their families.
The Business Manager is responsible for leading and managing the WBDC’s human resources, technology, facilities and office management activities.
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer
• Lead the WBDC’s human resources program including hiring, on-boarding, departures and annual reviews processes with management team.
• Oversee payroll and employee benefits management and administration.
• Manage relationships with key third party human resources vendors (i.e. payroll, insurance, etc.) and renegotiate service contracts as needed.
• Provide leadership and oversight for the WBDC’s technology systems.
• Develop and implement technology and database plans to improve internal reporting and performance measurement and increase efficiencies for service delivery.
• Manage relationships with key third party technology vendors (i.e. website, database, IT, etc.) and renegotiate service contracts as needed.
• Establish and maintain internal control procedures and ensure that policies and procedures, including emergency response situations, are updated, communicated and followed.
• Oversee physical plant management including managing office infrastructure and supplies to ensure needs of all staff are met.
• Manage relationships with key third party vendors and renegotiate service contracts as needed.
• Serve as back-up for check deposits, check writing, credit card processing and bookkeeping duties.
• Manage all administrative and support staff employees including front desk, bookkeeper, client database analyst, facilities assistant and networks/system analyst.
Mandatory Job Qualifications
REQUIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Organization skills and ability to manage and meet multiple deadlines
• Analytical skills and financial acumen
• Assertive, articulate and professional
• Leadership skills and ability to work with a diverse team
• Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite; financial management software (Quickbooks); and technology systems including basic website management
• Passionate about women’s issues and economic development
• BA or BS degree with business or accounting focus preferred
• 3+ years of progressive work experience including management of direct reports