Gilbarco Veeder-Root represents the leading brands of solutions and technologies that provide convenience, control, and environmental integrity for retail fueling and adjacent markets.
In 2002, the Gilbarco and Veeder-Root companies combined into one marketing brand, with distinctive and complementary business lines, services, and sales capabilities.
Gilbarco is a leading global supplier of fuel dispensing equipment, fully integrated point of sale systems for the global petroleum marketplace. Gilbarco is headquartered in Greensboro, North Carolina with sales, manufacturing, research, development, and service locations in North and South America, Europe, Asia, the Pacific Rim and Australia.
Purpose of Position
The Strategic Buyer supports the Commodity Mgr
the development and management of suppliers in
a specific commodity segment. Through the Commodity Manager, the Strategic buyer creates the vision for the supply base to support existing products
services as well as new products
- Manage suppliers by using team processes to coordinate selection of the best source to provide continuous cost and quality improvements.
- Benchmark and interpret industry conditions and state of the art advancements which may have an effect on design, lead-time and cost of commodity(s).
- Develop and manage supplier cost reduction programs and stocking programs to aid in the optimization of inventory.
- Negotiate long term contracts with suppliers which provides for continuous year over year improvements in performance, including cost, quality and delivery.
- Act as primary interface for Gilbarco and its customers in communication to suppliers the needs and expectations of product quality, delivery performance and overall company goals.
- Support Focused Factories and Material Planners as required ensuring a continuous flow of material to support production requirements.
- Participate and support corporate commodity teams in the development and consolidation of the supply base in order to bring the most cost effective solutions to all Danaher companies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Background and Skill
College degree or equivalent experience required. Four years or more of purchasing experience. Must have sound presentation skills and be able to communicate to the highest levels of management (internal and external). Requires advanced negotiating skills for involvement in corporate contract processes. Team leader and team member effectiveness has been demonstrated.
Danaher Corporation designs, manufactures, and markets professional, medical, industrial, and consumer products, which all generate approximately $13 Billon in revenue. Danaher’s business activities encompass four reporting segments and are comprised of six strategic platforms: Medical Technologies, Professional Instrumentation (Environmental, Electronic Test), Industrial Technologies (Motion, Product ID, Focused Niche Businesses) and Tools & Components (Mechanic’s Hand Tools).
Danaher operates globally with about 50% of its revenues derived from outside the United States. The Company has significant operating businesses headquartered in Europe and has greatly expanded its operating presence in Asia over the past several years. Danaher is a well-capitalized business, which has historically used available cash flow to fund acquisition activity.
Culturally, the company operates in a highly decentralized model with a corporate structure that has less than 50 associates. Danaher has a proven system for achieving performance: the Danaher Business System (DBS). It drives every aspect of the group’s culture and performance. DBS is a system of continuous improvement and is used to guide and measure everyday activities, which has enabled it to double in size about every 4-years with impressive financial performance.
Supply Chain / Logistics
North America-United States-NC-Greensboro