Working with limited supervision, assumes full buying responsibility for significant product line(s). Oversees the purchasing, quality, pricing, and turnover of items to meet member needs and profitability objectives. Supervises a replenishment buyer and purchasing clerk and provides guidance and assistance to other buying staff members.
- Position requires a bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, or a closely related field. In the absence of formal education, four to six years of directly related work experience may be substituted .
- Position must have five to six years of prior retail/wholesale experience including six or more years in the purchasing, pricing, and inventory control of assigned product line(s).
- Position requires demonstrated in-depth knowledge of branded products with an emphasis on assigned product line(s).
- Position should also have knowledge of company operations including available products, pricing and promotion programs, and members/retailers.
- Demonstrated proficiency with personal computers and associated business software (MS-Word and Excel preferred).
- Position must have analytical and problem solving skills demonstrated by the review of vendor/supplier proposals, evaluation of available competitive information, and selection of best alternatives.
- Negotiation skills are also required.
- Position must have the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with member/retailers and sales staff .
- Must be detail oriented with the ability to prepare, review, and evaluate purchase contracts and associated documents.