Under general supervision, prepares CAD drawings for highway maintenance projects, state projects and in
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Draft detailed dimensional drawings and design layouts for projects using CAD system; finish and duplicate
drawings and documentation packages
• Calculate dimensions, excavation tonnage, profile and component specifications and material quantities
• Assist in gathering, interpreting and preparing data for studies, reports, plans and specifications
• Maintain in-house maps as needed by departments and political subdivisions
• Assist with surveying and paving projects as assigned
• Maintain confidentiality of non-public records and makes available all data and information deemed a public
record by the North Dakota Century Code.
Knowledge and Skills:
• Knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of civil engineering and surveying.
• Knowledge of methods, materials and equipment used in road construction and maintenance.
• Knowledge of Federal state and American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials
(AASHTO) standards, protocols, specifications and guidelines for public works construction.
• Knowledge of Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) rules and regulations.
• Knowledge of Federal, state and county safety and zoning rules and regulations.
• Knowledge of civil engineering mathematics including geometry and trigonometry
• Skill in reading and interpreting engineering plans and specifications, plats and other related documents.
• Skill in reviewing and evaluating technical engineering data and construction documentation
• Skill in using computers and specialized engineering software applications, including CAD and GIS systems
• Skill in using CAD Civil Packages, e.g. Microstation (preferred), Civil3D, or Eagle Point.
• Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers.
Education, Experience and License/Certifications:
• Associates Degree in Engineering, Computer Aided Drafting (CAD), Drafting or related field OR an
equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
• Advanced knowledge and demonstrated ability with CAD software
• Must possess a valid North Dakota Driver’s License or equivalent