The University of Washington (UW) is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty.
Housing & Food Services (HFS) , part of the Division of Student Life, provides on-campus housing to over 6,000 student residents and operates multiple food-service units that serve the entire campus community. HFS employs approximately 1,200 full-time, part-time and student staff who work in Residential Life, UW Dining, Student and Financial Services, Communications and Marketing, Human Resources, Facilities Services and Information Technology.
As reflected in our mission statement— working together to enhance student life —teamwork and service to our students and customers are at the heart of our business.
UW Dining is a modern culinary organization within the University of Washington. As part of Housing and Food Services, we support the mission of the UW in serving our students, staff, faculty and guests. From stylish mobile units positioned on Red Square to “Cultivate” - our newest concept in residential dining, we cover the entire culinary landscape.
In early January 2014, UW Dining will open a new residence hall and dining venue, Local Point. In addition to serving our residents, Local Point hosts our “Chef’s Table” that serves as a culinary learning laboratory and special events venue.
UW Dining is pleased to announce two openings in culinary leadership: Chefs de Cuisine for Cultivate and Local Point. This posting is for the position at Cultivate . A separate announcement for the position at Local Point will be opening soon.
Successful candidates will have a balance of leadership experience within the culinary field, in operations and in supervising staff. We value retention of our staff and seek leaders who are successful in staff engagement and can work effectively with students, professional and unionized staff.
This position is open until filled. Priority consideration will be given to those who apply by October 16th, 2013.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please visit our benefits website .
- Develops the Cultivate Restaurant’s business plan and budget in collaboration with Food Services leadership.
- Directs staff on dining operation policies and procedures.
- Monitors and reviews reports, including financial statements, production records, staffing schedules and inquiries from the HFS Financial team.
- Establishes and maintains proper controls over resources, including cash, inventory and labor.
- Reports on probable causes for budget variances or discrepancies and makes adjustments.
- Manages the inventory from ordering to utilization, including purchasing, receipt, storage, payment processing, distribution, production and sale.
- Develops new concepts, determines menu options and standardizes recipes in collaboration with the Campus Executive Chef and Residential Dining Administrator.
- Prepares and garnishes meals and trains staff on food preparation, production and display.
- Designs and implements quality control measures to insure consistent taste, presentation and food safety.
- Collaborates with Marketing to identify and utilize multiple venues for soliciting customer feedback and respond to complaints, questions and special requests.
- Maintains visibility and accessibility with customers, building managers and staff members.
- Trains and monitors performance in unit safety, cash handling, customer service and food safety.
- Identifies and corrects unsafe conditions; such as, poor equipment or work habits that might lead to an accident.
- Utilizes the Online Accident Reporting System (OARS) for every work accident and injury; notifying appropriate authorities and personnel.
- Provides coverage for other dining operations during absences.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Learn more about Housing & Food Services
Learn more about Why our staff choose to work here!
Bachelor’s degree in hospitality and/or a certification by a recognized culinary institution, plus a minimum of two (2) years of sous chef-level management experience in culinary operations.
Experience and references must demonstrate:
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
- Leadership experience working within a high volume seated restaurant, hotel or university dining venue.
- Effective execution of cook to order menu items in a restaurant setting
- Effective expediting on the kitchen and service sides of a restaurant
- Effective training and leadership of wait staff
- Depth and breadth in concept development, kitchen management, food and labor cost controls, and plating and presentation.
- Effective interpersonal, organizational, analytical, communication and problem-solving skills
- Effective supervision of staff, including training, giving constructive feedback and address performance through progressive, corrective action
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including, Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Project
Condition of Employment:
- Success working in a contemporary college/university dining environment
- Possession of a valid Washington Driver’s License
- ServSafe Certification
Appointment to this position is contingent upon obtaining satisfactory results from a criminal background check.
Possession and maintenance of:
- Washington State Food Card within two weeks of hire.
- ServSafe certification within three months of hire.
Part of the application process for this position includes completing on-line Employment Eligibility and Cover Letter assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments will appear on your screen for you to complete as soon as you select "Apply to this Position" on this job announcement. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until these assessments are complete.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability , and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.
To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 / 206-543-6452 (tty) or email@example.com .
University of Washington - 16 months ago