Contributes in one or more highly specialized phases of operating systems programming. Provides technical consulting on complex projects. Formulates/defines specifications for complex operating system software or modifies/maintains complex existing software using engineering releases and utilities from the manufacturer. Responsible for applications dealing with the overall operating system, subsystems, telecommunications networks, monitoring software, and data security software. Instructs, directs, and checks the work of other systems programming personnel. Reviews for quality assurance and/or new and existing software product evaluations responsibilities.
1. Provides installation, tailoring, tuning, and support for all IBM software including z/VM, z/OS, CICS, VTAM, NCP, PSF, TCP/IP, COBOL compilers and various other support software. (60 - 80%)
2. Provides installation and support of third party software from Computer Associates, ASG, MacKinney Systems, and various other systems software and utilities. (30-50%)
A. Disk and tape management.
C. Job accounting.
D. Program testing.
E. Program generators.
F. System monitoring.
H. Virtual terminals.
I. Remote printing.
J. Console management.
K. Various other systems software and utilities.
3. Monitors system resources to ensure optimal service levels to users of both batch and online systems. (5-10%)
4. Provides comprehensive technical support, consulting and advice to application programmers, computer operators, and Data Control technicians. (5-20%)
5. Provides direction and guidance to systems programmers. (< 5%)
6. Assists in providing direction for future software and hardware enhancements and purchases. (< 5%)
7. Assists in installation and support of database software. (5-10%)
8. Creates and maintains technical documentation and procedures in all of the above areas of responsibility. (5-10%)
9. Creates special purpose software. (< 5%)
A. Creates unusual input/output routines that are not ordinarily included in systems software.
B. Modifies purchased software.
10. Develops, maintains and supports policy and procedures which are designed to protect designed computer programs, data bases and data files from unauthorized or accidental duplication, modification or destruction.
11. Maintains good housekeeping of work area.
12. Performs any duties as assigned by the Manager of Technical Services.
13. Performs all assigned tasks in a safe manner according to Company Policy.
Looking for 6+ years of programming on z/OS, with additional experience in CICS and telecommunications.
Would like programming experience with Assembler and COBOL for support, debugging and maintenance. HLASM, REXX and JCL
IllinoisJobs.com - 19 months ago