POSTING TYPE: Open-Competitive
PREFERRED HIRING RANGE: $66,300 - $73,800 (IT4.3 DBM)
FULL SALARY RANGE: Click here to view salary details
LOCATION: Administration Center, Hastings
CLOSE DATE: This posting will remain open until the ideal candidate is identified.
This position provides and/or facilitates the development of applications for the Dakota County Criminal Justice Information Integration Network (CJIIN), a partnership of Dakota County and the cities in Dakota County focusing on the integration of information systems used by law enforcement and criminal justice agencies. CJIIN provides applications to over 50 criminal justice agencies in and around the Metropolitan area, covering over 25% of Minnesota's law enforcement officers. The CJIIN Office excels at fast paced, customer focused and innovative technology applications for law enforcement and criminal justice agencies. CJIIN provides a flexible development environment with an emphasis on analytical/problem solving approaches to meet the needs of end users. All CJIIN staff are in regular contact with a wide variety of criminal justice customers from police officers to investigators to probation officers and prosecuting attorneys.
The position requires minimal supervision, has frequent contact with customers from participating agencies and vendors, and performs work of considerable difficulty in analysis (business and technical), documentation, programming, implementation and maintenance. In addition, the position will include coordination, evaluation of options, selection of software packages, training and implementation of systems. The CJIIN Office provides state of the art applications for law enforcement and criminal justice agencies; the position requires strong programming skills, experience in .NET programming and XML.
· Associate's Degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or related field AND Six years experience in Systems Analysis and Design and methodology experience.
· Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or related field AND Four years experience in Systems Analysis and Design and methodology experience
· An equivalent combination of related education AND full-time Systems Analysis and Design and methodology work experience to total eight years.
WORK EXPERIENCE ABOVE MUST INCLUDE:
· One year of full-time working experience utilizing XML and .NET programming.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE BEYOND MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
· Related Bachelor's degree
· Knowledge of software and hardware systems integration
· Previous experience in the criminal justice field
· Experience in user interface design
· Experience with middleware technology
Duties & Responsibilities:
These examples do not include all possible tasks in this work and do not limit the assignment of related tasks in any position of this classification. Regular attendance according to the position's management approved work schedule is required for all positions.
1. Collaborate with developers, programmers, and designers in conceptualizing and development of new software programs and applications.
2. Works closely with business customers to analyze and prioritize business problems and make recommendations for information technology solutions that include consideration of package software or customer development designs. Determine business and system requirements needed to develop, enhance or maintain application systems. Emphasis on web and client-server solution that integrate the technologies and tools utilized by the County.
3. Assist in defining software development project plans, including scoping, scheduling, and implementation.
4. Conduct research on emerging application development software products, languages, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
5. Liaise with vendors for efficient implementation of new software products or systems and for resolution of any adaptation issues.
6. Recommend, schedule, and perform software improvements and upgrades.
7. Liaise with network administrators, systems analysts, and software engineers to assist in resolving problems with software products or company software systems.
8. Consistently write, translate, and code software programs and applications according to specifications.
9. Write programming scripts to enhance functionality and/or performance of company applications as necessary.
10. Design, run and monitor software performance tests on new and existing programs for the purpose of correcting errors, isolating areas for improvement, and general debugging.
11. Administer critical analysis of test results and deliver solutions to problem areas.
12. Participate in training activities to keep current skills honed and develop skills to prepare for future changes in software development tools and practices. Research and recommend new technologies and software, and keep current with changes in business functions in customer departments.
13. Resolve system production problems for assigned systems on an on-call basis, this includes carrying the CJIIN support phone on a rotating basis with other development staff after regular business hours.
14. Represent interests of Dakota County at State of MN agencies, consortiums, other government entities and vendors.
15. Scheduling backups and restoring databases, monitoring production servers, and updating server software as necessary.
Essential Functions: 1, 2, 8, and 13
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities and Work Environment:
• Considerable knowledge of Microsoft operating systems and Microsoft application software, IIS, Visual Studio.NET 2010, Team Foundation Server, SQL Server 2008, BizTalk Server 2010 and in PC workstation hardware.
• Extensive skills in application programming particularly using C#, ASP.NET, BizTalk, TSQL, Silverlight, and emerging technologies.
• Experience in developing SOAP and /or WCF services
• Experience using MSMQ, XML, XSLT, XSD
• Strong verbal and written communication skills along with listening skills.
• Excellent consulting, customer service and people skills.
• Experience with Agile project management and development methodology (SCRUM) and Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
• Ability to multi-task effectively.
• Self-motivated and ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Comprehensive knowledge of computer and information systems.
• Ability to turn high level requirements into detailed technical and functional solutions.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Ability to work under pressure with others.
• Ability to prepare instructional documentation and conduct staff training.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work requires sitting for extended periods of time, although some physical effort may be required. Work is typically performed in an adequately lighted and climate controlled office. Travel to visit local customers is required. Equipment used may include, but is not limited to, personal computer, printer, mainframe computer, mainframe printer, copier, FAX, IVR, word processing software, data modeling software, presentation software, graphical modeling software, and program languages. On-call availability as assigned and overtime hours may be required to meet project deadlines.
SELECTION PROCESS: The examination/selection process for this classification will consist of a rating of your training and experience from the application materials submitted. The top scoring candidates will be forwarded to the hiring department for further consideration and interviews.
Dakota County Employee Relations
Main Number 651.438.4435
(contact 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday)
Dakota County - 18 months ago