General Statement of Duties
The Clinical Laboratory Scientist II is responsible for performing complex medical laboratory tests for diagnosis and treatment of disease, analyzing and assuming accountability for accurate test results, maintenance of complicated instruments, and monitoring quality control and quality assurance programs.
Essential Job Functions
1. Performs specimen processing and testing independently to include moderate and high complexity testing.
2. Analyzes test results - demonstrates knowledge of pathological processes with correlation of disease states and test results.
3. Understands, performs, and practices preventive maintenance; troubleshoots and takes corrective action. Demonstrates pro-active problem solving skills to include identifying a problem and taking appropriate action; knows when to seek guidance to complete troubleshooting protocol.
4. Understands, performs, and practices quality control to include running controls, evaluating data, documentation of data, and taking corrective action as required. Communicates any relevant QC information to supervisor/lead tech.
5. Reviews, writes or modifies departmental procedures or policies.
6. Meets timeliness for gaining skills. Satisfactorily completes competency checklist for this position. Assumes responsibility for own development to include cross-training in other functions or positions to ensure satisfactory operation of the department or to permit flexible staffing assignments.
( ) SEDENTARY WORK: Lifting 10 lbs. maximum and occasional lifting and/or carrying articles.
( ) LIGHT WORK: Lifting 20 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying articles weighing up to 10 lbs.
(X) MEDIUM WORK: Lifting 50 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 25 lbs.
( ) HEAVY WORK: Lifting 100 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
( ) VERY HEAVY WORK: Lifting objects in excess of 100 lbs. with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing more than 50 lbs.
( ) Ability to lift, push and pull with assistance (mechanical or co-worker) the weight of an average patient specific to the department.
Some Freq None Some Freq None
Manual dexterity (eye/hand coordination)
Vision acuity – far
Vision acuity – near
Completes competencies as defined by department/unit and/or clinical specialty area.
Required Knowledge, Skill, Abilities and Other Job-Related Characteristics (KSAOs)
Minimum Education and Experience:
A. High school diploma (or equivalent), with 15 years of clinical lab experience
B. Associates Degree with minimum 5 years experience in Clinical Lab setting.
C. Bachelor’s Degree required with clinical lab experience preferred
Minimum License and Certificates Required: One of the following certifications is required: MT(ASCP), MT(AMT), MT(AAB), CLS(NCA), MT(HEW), CLT(NCA), MLT(ASCP), or MLT(AMT) Certification is waived for those with 15+ years of lab experience(per CLIA 1988 guidelines)
Metropolitan Methodist Hospital is truly downtown San Antonio’s most comprehensive hospital, providing a wide-range of health care...