SUMMARY OF POSITION: Responsible for the set-up of moderately complex jobs and operation of CNC equipment, and ensuring that all required processes are completed to produce parts that meet quality and ISO standards. Responsible to assist in the training of personnel as required. May be responsible to operate CMM.
EXPERIENCE/ EDUCATION: High School Graduate or equivalent.
SKILLS: 3- or more years CNC machining experience or demonstrated performance. Ability to work with minimal supervision. Excellent problem-solving skills. Ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize accordingly. Ability to read blueprints . Knowledge of GD&T. Complete knowledge of G-Codes. Ability to be a team player.
- Set-up moderately complex jobs and operate conventional, special-purpose, and computerized numerical control (CNC) machines and machining centers to fabricate metallic and nonmetallic parts and fits and assembles machined parts into complete units, applying knowledge of machine shop theory and procedures, shop mathematics, machine ability of materials, and layout techniques.
- Study blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications, or sample part to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work piece, sequence of operations, and set up requirements.
- Selects, aligns, and secures holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials on machines, such as mills, lathes, jig borers, grinders, and tooling pre-setter.
- Calculate and set controls to regulate machining factors, such as speed, feed, coolant flow and enter command to retrieve, input or edit computerized machine control media; observes machine operation to detect malfunctions or out-of–tolerance machining and adjusts machine controls or control media as required.
- Sets up and operates machine on trial run to verify accuracy of machine settings to programmed control data ensuring functionality and performance.
- Starts and observes machine operation to detect malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining and adjusts machine controls or control media as required.
- Verifies conformance of finished work piece to specifications, using precision measuring instruments.
- Measures, marks, and scribes dimensions and reference points on material or work piece as guides for subsequent machining.
- Fits and assembles parts into complete assembly, using jigs, fixtures, surface plate, surface table, hand tools, and power tools.
- Verifies dimensions and alignment of assembly, using measuring instruments, such as micrometers, height gauges, and gauge blocks.
- May specialize in setting up and operating machines in a particular machining area; i.e., lathes, mills, etc.
- Responsible to assist in the training of personnel as required.
- Confers with engineers, production personnel, programmers or others to resolve machining or assembly problems.
- Complete essential documentation as required
- Assure all policies and procedures are followed and safety precautions are taken to reduce the risk of injury.
- Maintain a clean work area and assure safe operation of all equipment.
- Must be available on reasonable notice for unscheduled overtime to meet production schedules.
- Perform and document Operator Preventative Maintenance operations as needed.
- Must fully understand setup and operation of at lease one machining field (mills, lathes, EDMs, etc).