SUMMARY OF POSITION: Responsible for performance of business unit on all shifts.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS :
- Responsible for total operation of the applicable business unit including personnel, machines, equipment and all necessary support systems for manufacturing processes.
- Plan and direct production activities and establish production goals and priorities to support effective operations, cost factors and timely deliveries.
- Prepare production status reports: sales dollars, schedule hours, delivery performance, scrap calculations, etc.
- Responsible for the direction of the departments within the business unit while taking into account production schedules, quality standards, continuous improvement and cost standards.
- Oversees and directs the activities of the cell leaders, off-shift supervisors, and lead operators, as well as indirectly supervises production personnel on all three shifts of the applicable business unit operation.
- Production scheduling including: review/approve production orders, expedite for delivery, schedule approved orders for production by machine or work cell.
- Coordinate production activities with purchasing, maintenance and quality control to obtain optimum production.
- Advise management of changes affecting production schedules or manpower requirements.
- Performs daily walk through reviews of the applicable work centers: developing cell leaders ability to review production schedules & assigning priorities based on master planning schedule & evaluating dept housekeeping.
- Develops, observes and evaluates the progress towards departmental goals within the cell leaders area by measuring continuous improvement of the following: production cost, quality of product, safety and work procedures, individual performance, housekeeping standards and preventive maintenance program.
- Drives continuous improvement activity through the collection and analysis of data and develops corrective actions that reduce waste and support key company objectives.
- Directs six sigma and lean manufacturing improvement projects in conjunction with the Six Sigma Champion.
- Develops cell leaders & shift supervisors in counseling production workers on personnel problems & resolution of employee concerns.
- Plans manning levels required to meet production requirements with the Director of Operations; requisitions new and replacement personnel; approves new hires; recommends dismissals and process transfers with HR Department.
- Maintains corporate goal flow-down methods and training procedures necessary to ensure total process control with documentation throughout the business unit.
- Assists in development of all new training and development programs to assure employee and product quality.
- Oversees continuous improvement and regulatory standards for conformance and accuracy.
EDUCATION: High school diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor degree in management or engineering is preferred.
SKILLS / EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of 8 years management/supervision experience in manufacturing required.
- Demonstrated proven experience in lean manufacturing and six sigma principles as well as knowledge of regulatory standards strongly preferred.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal & employee development skills. Ability to influence others. Ability to motivate personnel in an empowered work team environment and be able to lead and hold accountable different levels of personnel from hourly team members to engineers.
- CNC machining, programming or manufacturing engineering experience preferred.
- Ability to independently solve problems and make recommendations.
- Proactive approach in completing tasks and projects. Advanced level project management skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, follow up skills and attention to detail required.
- Knowledge of complex blueprints required. Quality experience preferred.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks with minimal supervision, and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven experience in driving organizational change
- Experience in leading process improvement activities including experience in improving efficiencies, increasing production output, etc.
- Ability to create, understand and make decisions based on business unit financials and metrics.