- Under direct supervision, assists with routine operations and problem resolution of computing and/or communications functions. The IT Support Assistant performs work in technical support areas, applications development, operations, help desk, and similar environments, as well as in the field where equipment may be located.
- Operates, transports, makes minor adjustments to, and help install and configure equipment such as:
- Computing devices of all types, including mainframe computers, microcomputers, and personal computing devices.
- Communications technology, including telephones and equipment, and communications network equipment.
- Computer peripherals and related equipment, including equipment to support multimedia applications (video, audio, and conferencing).
- Performs routine system operations and administration. Loads media (cartridges, tapes, forms, papers, disk packs), operates various programs and processes, maintains user accounts, monitors computing and communications activities, and updates logs.
- Assists with data storage operations. Transfers data from one medium/format to another. Performs routine back up and recovery tasks. Transports and/or transmits designated data in any format to other locations as directed.
- As directed, makes minor adjustments and implements routine technical updates to hardware and software (including networks, operating systems, applications software, web pages, and data tables).
- Maintains records, such as inventory records and records of assignment and use of technical equipment.
Tests computer and communications equipment to check its capacity and capability to perform as specified, and reports findings.
- Communicates with technology users and other technology staff to understand the details of work assignments and the nature of problems. May log or document problem reports.
- Identifies problems regarding computer, peripheral, or communications equipment, and other operating environment.
- Determines the cause of malfunctions and various methods (e.g., observation, use of diagnostic software or equipment).
- Informs a supervisor or designated contact for repairs. Documents findings and actions taken in appropriate logs. Follows up to assure problems have been resolved.
- May perform simple repairs such as replacing faulty computer, peripheral and communications equipment and/or component parts (e.g., boards, cards, monitors, cables, communications circuits), fixing electromechanical components (e.g., switches, relays, transformers) and tuning/adjusting components to correct malfunctions.
- May enter data into, or operate computer-based systems in performing work, including problems logs and help desk systems.
- Maintains standards fro safety and for the proper use of equipment and tools.
- Adheres to uniform performance standards and efficient work methods. Provides timely and effective service.
- Occasionally assists in orientation and training of new staff. May temporarily supervise other personnel.
IT Support Assistant
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Under supervision of the Technical Support Manager, the CTS Technical Support Assistant will provide support for ITSS information technology infrastructure.
John Jay College of Criminal Justice, a senior college of the City University of New York (CUNY), is an internationally recognized leader in educating for justice, committed to the advancement of justice and just societies. It is a public liberal arts college that enriches the entire learning experience by highlighting themes of justice across the arts, sciences, humanities, and social sciences. Located steps from Lincoln Center at the cultural heart of New York City, the College offers bachelors and masters degrees and participates in the doctoral programs of the Graduate School of the City University of New York. John Jay College is also recognized for serving a broadly diverse student population. Under the leadership of its fourth president, Jeremy Travis, John Jay College has experienced unprecedented faculty hiring, an expansion of its curricular offerings, and the opening in 2011 of a new 600,000 square foot building complete with a black-box theatre, state-of-the-art lab space for students and faculty, a moot courtroom, and a variety of virtual learning settings. As evidenced by so many on-going developments, the College offers its many new faculty and staff the opportunity to shape the future of their institution.
- Provide technical support for student computing, classroom technologies, audio-visual installations, video conferencing, and Crestron technologies, among others.
- Responsible for requisitioning of spare parts, repair history logs, maintaining inventory of all ITSS campus computers, AV equipment, network equipment and peripherals
- Provide guidance and training in video conferencing and Crestron technologies for general tech support staff.
- Set up and troubleshoot video conferencing sessions.
- Assists in repairing and/or installing wiring for local area computer networks and AV installations.
- Operates a distributed multimedia video and audio system.
- Operates multimedia equipment such as DVD, Blue Ray, VCR's, laser disks, etc.
1. Candidates must posses a High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent.
2. Candidates must possess eighteen months of related full-time work experience, or an equivalent combination of work experience and education beyond the High School Diploma.
3. Demonstrated English language proficiency, including the ability to speak, read, write, and understand English well enough to meet minimally acceptable performance standards set for the job tasks.
- Completion of college credits in Information Technology may be substituted at the rate of three credits for three month's experience. Completion of eighteen college credits in Information Technology may be substituted for the entire experience requirement.
- Completion of eighteen additional college credits outside the field of Information Technology may be substituted for an additional six months of experience.
4. A Motor Vehicle Driver's License, valid on the State of New York, may be required for some, but not all, positions.
New Hire: $32,571*
- This amount reflects a 13% salary suppression in effect for the first 24 months of employment only.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply please click "Apply Now" below. Once you have registered or logged in with your user name and password, upload your cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references as one document.
Questions about this position can be addressed to:
Bill Pangburn, Director ITSS
December 20, 2012
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Information Technology/Technical
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.
CUNY - 2 years ago