Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. The University is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities and co-manager of nearby Brookhaven National Laboratory, a multidisciplinary research laboratory supporting world class scientific programs utilizing state-of-the-art facilities. Stony Brook Medicine is Suffolk County's only academic medical center and tertiary care provider. Many opportunities exist for collaborative research, and in some cases, joint appointments with BNL or with Medical School departments.
Descriptive Title: Calculations Clerk II
Budget Title: same as above
State Classified Position
Department: Dental School
State Line#: 23151
Campus: Stony Brook West Campus/HSC
Required Qualifications: Per Civil Service Standards and Specifications. Must have taken and passed the specific job related Civil Service Exam and be reachable on the appropriate Civil Service list.
Brief Description of Duties: The Calculations Clerk II responsibilities include performing complicated clerical processing and record maintenance activities in support of the Dental Care Center. The selected canddiate will perform complicated numerical tasks using accepted account keeping, auditing, statistical, payroll, and other procedures in which mathematical calculations are fundamental.
- Receive and record patient payments, make changes, and issue receipts.
- Submission of dental insurance claims. Evaluate remittance statement for accuracy. Re-bill dental claims if necessary. Contact patients who have outstanding balances and send appropriate correspondence as required. Manage any accounts going to the collection agency.
- Reconcile daily transactions and money received, record transactions by category (cash, check, or charge payment). Make out bank deposit slip and deliver reports, deposit slips, and receipts to a designated employee.
- Examine checks that are received to ensure that they are properly prepared.
- Check all appropriate money for counterfeits.
- Obtain a predetermined amount of cash, from either a safe or the supervisor, and count it to be certain it is the correct amount.
- Identify any discrepancies, and if reconcilable, report the matter to supervisor.
- On a daily basis, verify Medicaid eligibility of Medicaid cards presented by patients through EMEV'S (Computer Science Corp-state facility at Albany).
Other Duties: Any related duties as requested.
Special Notes: This is a full-time position, 37.5 hours per week, 9:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. FLSA Nonexempt position, eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. Mandatory rehire roster candidates have preference.
Prior to start date , the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook University's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), clear a background investigation, submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Stony Brook University - 23 months ago