Advancement Project seeks a campaign director/chief strategist to lead our effort to build public understanding of the issues surrounding proposals to create and protect an affirmative right to vote.
Advancement Project is a next generation, multi-racial civil rights organization. We tackle inequity with innovative strategies and strong community alliances. With a national office in Washington, DC and two offices in California, we combine law, communications, policy and technology to create workable solutions and achieve systemic change. We aim to inspire and strengthen movements that expand opportunity for all.
Advancement Project's Right to Vote Initiative:
Most Americans would probably be surprised to learn that there is no provision of U.S. law that affirmatively guarantees citizens the right to vote. No such right is explicitly guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution, the 1965 Voting Rights Act or any other federal legislation. The Supreme Court majority in the Bush v. Gore case concluded: "the individual citizen has no federal constitutional right to vote for electors for the President of the United States." As we have witnessed over the past two years as state legislatures have passed laws making it harder to register and harder to vote, without a federal guarantee of the right to vote, states may manipulate election laws for partisan gain. State legislatures have tampered with this basic citizenship right by creating a patchwork quilt of arbitrary rules. Advancement Project's arduous efforts to protect voting rights have revealed the need for a consistent, uniform method of registering and voting that is guaranteed and protected by the federal government. Over the past several years, Advancement Project and others have explored options for guaranteeing voting rights in federal law and ending practices that unnecessarily disenfranchise voters.
The Campaign Director will:
- Manage a fast paced, multi-faceted issue campaign to build public will for an affirmative right to vote.
- Work with a multi-skilled team to develop goals and strategy for a comprehensive and strategic campaign that includes grassroots outreach, coalition development, online organizing, policy and legislative strategies, communications, research and other tactics to achieve campaign goals.
- Develop public education and campaign materials.
- Build and sustain collaborative working relationships with local, state, and national strategic partners to raise the profile of the campaign and increase public will.
- Coordinate and plan, with relevant staff and departments, campaign events such as local rallies, demonstrations, briefings, and media events.
- Manage campaign budget.
- Supervise a diverse campaign team with a range of skill-sets.
- Develop regular reports for staff and campaign funders.
- Background in labor, electoral or issue campaigns and demonstrated experience in managing successful issue campaigns.
- Minimum of five years campaign organizing experience including strategic planning, strategic communications and message development, online organizing, coalition development, budgeting, evaluation and supervision.
- A strong commitment to social justice, particularly racial justice, with experience working in diverse communities of color, faith and low income and working class communities.
- A strategic approach to both policy and politics. Experience with effective outreach to policymakers and legislators.
- Self-directed, highly motivated and able to provide leadership in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to develop large-scale strategies as well as to develop, implement, and track day-to-day campaign activities; exemplary organizational skills and ability to handle several assignments simultaneously, attention to detail, ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Ability to oversee staff team and their project assignments in addition to personal workload.
- Excellent interpersonal and relational skills; experience supervising teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A high level of personal energy, dependability, and commitment
- Ability to think creatively, strategically problem-solve within a team setting.
Advancement Project - 14 months ago