- The Cancer Registry Lead is responsible for day-to-day operational activities as it relates to cancer registry services provided to hospitals according to the Service Level Agreement with the Centralized Cancer Registry department.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Provides general directions to cancer registry staff in case finding, abstracting and patient follow up
- Assists Cancer Registry Director in the review and improvement of processes and services
- Completes quality control monitoring and reporting of completed abstracts for accuracy and timeliness
- Assists with case abstracting according to the standards of the American College of Surgeons (ACOS) and the state of Florida cancer Data System (FCDS)
- Assists with the National Cancer Data Base (NCDB) Annual Call for Data
- Resolves errors resulting in the rejection of records from the NCDB and FCDS
- Provides coverage for cancer conferences and cancer committees as requested
- Assists in employee training and development
- Reports to the supervisor periodically on team and individual work accomplishments, problems, progress in mastering tasks and work processes, and individual and team training needs
- Maintains or exceeds established productivity and quality standards
- Promptly reports issues or trends to the Cancer Registry Director
- Participates in required continuing education programs and annual reorientation
- Practices and adheres to the “Code of Conduct” philosophy and the “Mission and Value Statement”
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- PC Skills – demonstrates proficiency in keyboard operations, Microsoft Office applications and others as required
- Communication – communicates clearly, proactively and concisely with all key stakeholders
- Customer orientation – establishes and maintains long term customer relationships, building trust and respect by consistently meeting and exceeding expectations
- Organization – establishing courses of action to ensure that work is completed efficiently; proactively prioritizes assignments and keen ability to multi-task
- Quality Orientation – accomplishing tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time
- Work Independently – is self-supporting; not needing to rely on others to complete a job
- High school diploma or equivalency required.
- RHIA, RHIT or Associates degree preferred.
- 5 years experience in Cancer Registry abstracting
- Prior supervisory experience preferred
- Certified Cancer Registrar (CTR) required
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Requires prolonged sitting, some bending, stooping and stretching. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports. Requires lifting papers or boxes up to 50 pounds occasionally. Work is performed in an office environment. Work may be stressful at times. Contact may involve dealing with angry or upset people. Staff must remain flexible and available to provide staffing assistance for any/all disaster or emergency situations.
HCA Inc - 12 months ago