General Statement of Duties:
Under the direction of the Director/Manager of Non-Invasive Cardiology performs EKG studies, rhythm strips, Cardiodynes, signal averages, holter monitor, transcription of EKGs and other related examinations according to established standards. Practices at a high technical level and must have a basic knowledge to identify and classify cardiac rhythms independent of computerized interpretation so that independent selections and modification of technical factors (trouble-shooting) can occur to produce optimal results.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Demonstrates technical proficiency for basic EKGs, rhythm strips, signal averages, utilize correct lead placement according to departmental policy and must have a complete understanding of the MUSE storage/retrieval system.
2. Basic knowledge of cardiac anatomy, coronary vessels, and principles of electrophysiology. Demonstrates critical thinking and skill to recognize and correct artifact accordingly.
3. Demonstrates technical proficiency for holter hook-up/disconnect and include proper lead placement, skin prep and proficiency for the performance of Cardiodyne studies (Pleth).
4. Maintaining all patient reports. This includes but is not limited to the following: pulling all previous reports/images/tracings, acquires signed physician orders with appropriate indicator for all exams, presenting paperwork/studies to the correct reading physician, notifying reading physicians of requests, log book entries, and entering proper patient charges into Meditech. EKG tech will ensure that all patient records are maintained private and confidential and contain pertinent and correct patient demographics.
5. Ability to properly sequence EKGs according to date, time to ensure proper sequential comparison by the EKG reader and be proficient of EKGs transcription into the MUSE system.
6. Scheduling of all Non-Invasive exams to include, Echo, EKG, EEG and Nuclear Cardiology (depending upon facility) and provide copies of schedules as necessary for other units.
Job Description Appendix A:
Environmental and Physical Demands/Hazardous Conditions:
) INSIDE: Spends approximately
hours or more per week inside.
( ) OUTSIDE: Spend approximately __ hours per week outside (driving/running work related errands).
( ) BOTH: The activities occur inside and outside in approximately equal amounts.
WORK POSITIONS: (defined in 10% increments of work time): Sitting
( ) SEDENTARY WORK: Lifting 10 lbs. maximum and occasional lifting and/or carrying articles.
( ) LIGHT WORK: Lifting 20 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying articles weighing up
to 10 lbs.
( ) MEDIUM WORK: Lifting 50 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing
up to 25 lbs.
( ) HEAVY WORK: Lifting 100 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing
up to 50 lbs.
( ) VERY HEAVY WORK: Lifting objects in excess of 100 lbs. with frequent lifting and/or carrying of
objects weighing more than 50 lbs.
) Ability to lift, push and pull with assistance (mechanical or co-worker) the weight of an average patient specific to the department.
Minimum Education and Experience:
1. High school diploma or GED.
2. A graduate of an AMA medical assistant course or its equivalent preferred.
3. One-year experience in a hospital or medical office setting performing EKG procedures preferred.
4. Will consider cross training of candidates who are certified monitor technicians. This will require
recommendation by a nursing supervisor.
Minimum License and Certificates Required:
1. Preference will be given to candidates with a cardiovascular credential.
2. CPR Certification.
Supervised By: Manager/Director of Non-Invasive Cardiology
Supervision Of: N/A
• EKG machines, Holter Scanner/Recorder, and MUSE
• Cardiodyne Bio Z (Pleth Studies)
• Stress Test Equipment
• Meditech, PC, other common Office Equipment
HCA Inc - 16 months ago