An E qual Opportunity Employer Committed to a Diverse Workforce
Job Title : Career Coach/Coordinator – Part Time 20 hours per week
Location: Westlake Middle School, Oakland, CA
Department: SparkPoint Oakland (Community Investment Team)
Reports To : SparkPoint Oakland Site Director
Classification: Support Union
Closing Date: Open until filled
SUMMARY: SparkPoint Oakland and Eagle Village Community Center Youth & Family Services (EVCCYFS) are collaborating to provide on-site SparkPoint services to families at Westlake Middle School. Created by United Way of the Bay Area , SparkPoint Centers are financial education centers that help individuals and families who are struggling to make ends meet. SparkPoint is the result of a unique collaboration of Oakland non-profit agencies that are committed to improving financial stability services and outcomes for members of their communities. SparkPoint helps clients address immediate financial crises, get them back on their feet, and build financially secure futures. The model rests on principles around common goals, best-practice service provision, and a partnership approach. EVCCYFS, Westlake Middle School's Lead Agency, provides a safe academic environment that supports the development of the whole child, both in and out of the classroom, through academic, cultural, recreational, mental health, and family services.
RESPONSIBIILTITES: The Career Coach/Coordinator will provide career counseling, job readiness, job placement, and job retention services to clients including formerly incarcerated, homeless, and low-income non-custodial parents.
- Must work closely and in conjunction with the Family Resource Site Coordinator.
- Job placement and retention: Develop employer contacts and referral source and generate job leads; participate in employer recruitment events, job fairs, and networking events.
- Coaching: Provide one-on-one meeting with clients. Assess client service needs and collaborate with client to develop and follow a self-sufficiency plan; motivate the client to achieve career goals and provide the client honest, productive feedback.
- Maintain data on clients' efforts, baseline and follow ups via data entry into our database system, ETO (Efforts to Outcomes).
- Triage clients to self-help and/or the appropriate SPO coach and to other applicable services.
- Facilitate client workshops, discussion groups, and/or classes on topics including but not limited to job readiness, resume writing, financial literacy, etc.
- Provide one-on-one coaching on job and career development.
- Participate in school and community outreach efforts.
- Attend community meetings and training sessions and perform other duties as assigned.
- Coordinate all school activities through EVCCYFS.
- Minimum of two years of progressively responsible work experience in job development, case management, and/or career counseling required.
- Experience working with economically disadvantaged persons including homeless and low-income non-custodial parents.
- Strong analytical, time management and organizational skills and the capacity to integrate diverse objectives with a high level of attention to detail and deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experience coordinating programs and activities on a school site as well as consulting with teacher, counselors, administrators and other school staff.
- Experience with and sensitivity to communities of color, immigrant communities, and communities with limited resources.
- Ability to interact with all levels within and outside the school environment.
- Ability to motivate, inspire and support individuals with significant employment barriers toward self-sufficiency.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Highly adept at using the Internet, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), databases
- Flexibility and the ability to work successfully with minimal supervision.
- Excellent Listening skills, oral and written communication, and facilitation skills.
- A self-starter who can develop a new program at a school site.
- B.A. degree or equivalent experience.
- Fluent in Spanish preferred (both written and oral).
- Familiarity with various geographic regions and ethnic population of Oakland.
- Experience using a broad range of marketing tools to build awareness.
- Commitment to social justice and economic change.
- Professional appearance and welcoming attitude.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus. Could also be required to push and pull objects such as files, file drawers, reach overhead. Must have the ability to work in a public environment
- CA Driver's License
- DOJ/FBI Fingerprint Clearance
- Negative TB Test
$17 – $20 per hour
Submit resume along with cover letter, indicating position title and location in subject line to:
1. Inside of EastMont Town Center, 7200 Bancroft Way, Oakland, CA 94605, OR
2. E-mail to email@example.com
idealist.org - 23 months ago