This is a professional position works closely with the Director and other career services staff in designing programs and services that meet the career planning and development needs of students. The Career Specialist/Advisor is a key presenter in the classroom to promote career services to students and to teach the basics of job search preparation (resumes, interviewing, using technology in the job search, etc.). Outreach to employers regarding Career Services is also involved. Some evening and weekend work should be expected.
Southern Polytechnic State University, a member of the University System of Georgia, is a residential university with over 6,200 students pursuing bachelors and masters degrees in many of the nation’s fastest growing technology fields. The university, located one mile west of 1-75’s Exit 263, is just 20 minutes northwest of downtown Atlanta. Southern Polytechnic is an EOE / ADA /AA Employer.
1. Provide direct assistance to students via walk-in service or appointments in resume. development, critiquing resumes, preparing for interviews, conducting mock interviews and other job search related activities.
2. Plan, develop and provide presentations in the classroom and/or to student organizations to teach the basics of job search preparation and career planning (resumes, interviewing, using technology in the job search, What Can I Do with a Major In…, etc.).
3. Support activities and programming related to internships and job shadowing.
4. Advise and assist students seeking career information and/or employment opportunities.
5. Network with faculty and various members of the University community to develop support for campus-recruiting programs and recruiting new employers.
6. Maintain records on jobs, referrals and campus interviews.
7. Secure information from students, alumni, and employers regarding employment and salaries for statistical reporting. Assist with developing surveys to determine satisfaction of services.
8. Develop and follow-up on departmental surveys.
9. Provide guidance regarding the use of CAREER LINK , the department’s web database
10. Assist with the coordination, promotion and execution of special events (career fairs, career panels, workshops).
Desirable Knowledge Skills and Abilities
The successful candidate will demonstrate professional passion, strong professional skills and work ethic, a record of teamwork, and the ability to juggle a variety of duties while maintaining excellence, perspective, and a sense of humor.
1. Outstanding interpersonal, effective organizational and time management skills, multi-tasking and writing skills are needed to be an effective team member of this office.
2. Understanding of current knowledge in job search strategies, labor market trends and area and global economic development needs.
3. Technology experience with web based career software and database/spreadsheet needed.
4. Must be comfortable in preparing and presenting to groups, both internal and external to the University.
5. Demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively with other office team members in a professional environment in order to meet the goals/objectives of the office.
6. Must be able to establish and maintain effective relationships with students, employees, administration, faculty, and staff. The ability to work well with a wide variety of constituents.
7. Must be a self-starter who works well in a fast-paced, dynamic, team-oriented, and culturally diverse environment.
A Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred; preferably in Counseling/Higher Education Administration/Student Affairs or related area. A minimum of two – three years work experience in higher education, career services, or in an employment services area. Experience related to experiential education beneficial. Proficiency in MS Office programs (Word, Power Point, Excel, Internet use) also required. Strong marketing skills a plus.
Special Instructions for Applicants
In addition to the required documents which must be uploaded, please note the following additional information:
Unofficial transcripts (undergraduate/graduate)
- A minimum of three professional references must ALSO be provided.
Southern Polytechnic State University - 7 months ago