The carpenter performs low through advanced skill level carpentry maintenance necessary to keep College buildings and infrastructure in full operation. May occasionally be assigned to responsibilities associated with the Building Maintenance Worker.
- Constructs and repairs structural woodwork and equipment in an establishment working from blueprints and/or oral instruction
- Builds, repairs, and installs counters, cabinets, benches, partitions, floors, doors, building framework, and trim
- Hangs sheet rock, tapes joints.
- Repairs and installs all types of windows, screens, storm doors, storm windows and overhead doors.
- Replaces damaged ceiling tile and floor tile
- Performs minor roof repairs such as repairing flashing
- Performs masonry repairs and concrete work as related to carpentry work
- Completes special projects as assigned
- Removes snow from sidewalks, entrances, courtyards, parking lots, etc. using shovels, snow blowers, snow plows and other related snow removal equipment, as directed in “Snow and Ice Control Plan for The College of Saint Rose”.
- Communicates using email routinely with supervisor and members of department, as well as other College departments as needed.
- Provides comprehensive notes and summaries to the Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) upon completion of work assignments.
- Follows established college policies and procedures, including Residence Hall entry protocol, when entering student spaces and college offices. After working in unoccupied individual offices and student spaces, leaves “hang tag” behind with appropriate information related to the task.
- Initiates request to purchase supplies related to work assignments according to established procedures.
- Performs all work in accordance with established safety procedures
- Attends all safety, equipment, and materials training as scheduled by supervisor
- At times, performs responsibilities contained in the Building Maintenance Worker job description, consistent with training and experience.
- At least 6 years experience as a carpenter, showing progression in the complexity of work performed.
- Knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and techniques used in carpentry trade
- Must have skill in both cabinetry and structural carpentry
- Must be familiar with the use of all power tools including saws, routers, drills, etc.
- Must be able to read blueprints, schematics, and sketches
- Must have experience in rough framing and finish work both in the shop and in the field
- Must be able to frequently lift and carry objects weighing up to 75 lbs.
- Must be able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide
- Must be able to read instructions and safety rules, write sentences, communicate verbally, and follow instructions
- Must be able to climb stairs, ladders, lifts, etc as well as stand, reach, stoop, crouch, sit, kneel, climb, crawl and walk extensively across multiple areas of campus.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision
- A valid NYS drivers’ license is required
- Basic level computer skills using Windows Outlook web access.
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 7:00-3:30
Rate of Pay: $19.30/hour
Employees in this position are considered "essential personnel", which requires them to report for duty during weather/other emergencies that may result in College closings or delays. Regular work assignments change to performing snow removal duties such as shoveling, snowblowing, etc .
Comprehensive health and dental benefits, generous time off, a tuition remission plan to further enhance your knowledge and skills, and wellness programs including the use of our extensive fitness center
Union membership required: UPSEU (United Professional & Service Employees Union) Local 1222
The College of Saint Rose values diversity and abides by federal, state and local law in admissions, employment and all services and programs provided. It does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion/creed, disability, age, national/ethnic origin, sexual orientation or any other condition established by law.
The College of Saint Rose is committed to providing a safe, supportive, and secure environment for the entire college community and upon request will provide its annual security report. This report includes statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus, in certain off campus buildings or property owned or controlled by the College, and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus. This report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security, such as policies concerning sexual assault and other matters. You can obtain a copy of this report by contacting the Office of Safety and Security at 518-454-5187 or on line at http://www.strose.edu/officesandresources/campus_security/safetyreportandcleryact
In order to be considered for this position, you must submit your credentials online. Create a College of Saint Rose Employment Account by clicking on the APPLY NOW tab below. You will be able to upload the following documents, which are required for consideration:
See the FAQ for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Already have a College of Saint Rose Employment Account ? Login to add documents or update your account.
The College of Saint Rose - 10 months ago