Public Works, Facilities Management is seeking to fill a vacant Carpenter-Locksmith position. Under general supervision, this position requires journey-level carpentry skill to maintain and carry out improvements to City owned facilities. The incumbent also needs to have the ability to recognize the correct tool for the task and the safe effective use of power and hand tools of the carpentry trade. This position is assigned to the Building Trades section of the Citywide Facilities Management Division, and works as a lock-smith within the carpenter classification along side various other trades consisting of carpentry, paint and plumbing. Typical duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Construction and repair projects including wood and metal framing.
- Installation of doors, windows, metal, wood and related hardware, including lock repair and install.
- Provide lock-smith services including key cutting, rekeying, setting locks, managing key records.
- Construction of floors, fences, benches, decks, ramps, stairs and handrails.
- Perform minor cabinet construction and repair.
- Mounting of miscellaneous wall items (shelving, white boards, picture frames, clocks, etc.)
- Demolition and hauling of materials, as projects require.
- Work and communicate well with customers, including co-workers, other trades, client department personnel, management and the general public.
- Follow written and oral instruction, interpret plans, construction drawings, and adhere to building codes and specifications to perform the work required.
- Promote team work and work as part of a team, including taking the lead as well as a supporting role to complete projects.
- Provide project status as and when needed.
- Consistently lift construction related materials (approx weight 100 lbs)
- Adopt appropriate safety working procedures.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to:
1. Experience: Any combination of training and experience equivalent to successful completion of a recognized carpentry apprenticeship program. (This must be supported by the information provided in your on-line application and/or resume including any current certifications obtained.)
2. Licenses or Certificates: Possession of a valid driver¿s license authorizing operation of a motor vehicle in the State of California.
3. Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Dept. of Labor.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
Job Expertise - candidate has completed a recognized carpentry apprenticeship and has continued to work as a journey level carpenter with lock work included, or has worked for a licensed contractor carrying out journey level carpentry related work; experience providing training to apprentices and trainees; posses a valid California driver¿s license and is able to meet insurability standards; ability to read and interpret prints, construction drawings and work from oral and written instructions; experience performing rough and finish carpentry work in the alteration, maintenance, restoration and repair of buildings, floors, roofs, stairways, furniture and other objects; ability to operate machinery in a safe and appropriate manner; experience performing/providing lock-smith services.
Flexibility - ability to work varied hours, including overtime, weekends, and holidays.
Project Management - ensures support for projects and implements agency goals and strategic objectives.
Customer Service - demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers¿ needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently in a timely, accurate, respectful and friendly manner.
Problem Solving - approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem(s); collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
Reliability - completes quality work assignments in a timely and efficient manner; fulfills responsibilities and maintains confidentiality as appropriate.
Teamwork and Interpersonal Skills - develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process:
1. Have you successfully completed a recognized carpentry apprenticeship or worked for a licensed building contractor? If yes, please describe your experience, when and where did you complete your carpentry apprenticeship? Or if you worked with a licensed building contractor, describe the type of experience that you have and provide a list of licensed building contractors that you have worked for?
2. Do you have experience working as a journey level carpenter? If yes, include a brief description of your experience in performing journey level carpentry work; include the dates and company names that you have worked for.
3. Do you possess a valid driver's license authorizing operation of a motor vehicle in the State of California? If yes, are you able to meet insurability standards?
4. Are you able to read and interpret prints and construction drawings?
5. Are you able to work from oral and written instructions?
6. Do you have experience using shop tools? If yes, please describe the shop tools that you have utilized and where and when you have made use of them. Also include what types of work performed during your career as a carpenter.
7. Do you have experience providing lock-smith services? If yes, please describe the types of services you have provided, include any key hierarchy or systems that you have in place.
8. Are you willing and able to work and adjust to work assignments that include working varied hours, including overtime, weekends, and holidays?
9. Do you have project management experience? If yes, please briefly explain your role.
10. Do you have a most memorable project? If yes, please describe what made it so memorable and why does it stick out from the rest of the work you remember?
You may answer these questions directly in the on-line application system or on a separate document and then cut and paste your answers into the appropriate spaces when prompted.
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Marcela Bolanos via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submission of a resume is optional. The Education History and Work History sections of the application must be completed or the application will be considered to be incomplete and may be withheld from further consideration.
E-mail is the default method of communication with applicants. To ensure that you receive timely notification regarding your application status, please provide a current e-mail address when submitting your application. It is also recommended that you adjust any spam filters to ensure that you can receive e-mails from @sanjoseca.gov.
The application deadline is11:59 PM on the final filing date. Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application.
Physical Requirements: Ability to perform the essential physical functions of this position will be determined by a post-offer medical examination conducted by City of San José Employee Health Services.
If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityJobs@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application.
Employees in this classification are represented by International Union of Operating Engineers, Local No. 3 (OE#3).
City of San Jose - 13 months ago