Case Manager- OMH Scatter Site Housing- Queens, NY
Comunilife, Inc. is a premier provider of housing, mental health, and HIV/AIDS services in New York City. Our programs benefit more than 2,500 people each year – helping them overcome challenges, related to extreme poverty, chronic homelessness, serious behavioral and medical issues, and linguistic and acculturation barriers.
Our Office of Mental Health (OMH) supported housing program provides housing and case management services for chronic mentally ill adults. Participants are referred from sate psychiatric institutions, community residences, hospitals, and from local shelters and agencies. The program secures permanent, supported housing for participants and provides them with case management and related services.
We are looking for Case Managers to secure available, affordable, and appropriate community-based housing options for people with serious mental illness, and to provide housing-related case management services for our clients. Responsibilities include:
Skills and Experience:
- Assisting clients with securing housing, including communicating with landlords, and signing leases.
- Conducting apartment inspections to identify safety issues and needed repairs.
- Facilitating moves to new apartments.
- Developing service plans with clients with goals addressing housing, living, health/mental health and multicultural issues.
- Scheduling and conducting home visits.
- Maintaining ongoing communication with clients regarding housing, independent living issues, and compliance with mental health/medical appointments and medication.
- Writing weekly case notes related to service plan goals and objectives.
- Completing required forms (home visit sheets, employment surveys, hospitalization, incidents, etc.)
- Requesting and reviewing annual psychiatric and physical assessments and requesting current prescribed medication and hospital discharge forms from external providers
- Writing annual psychosocial reports
- Updating client personal data, including emergency and family contacts and service providers
- Collecting rent receipts and calculating client and agency rent portions due to lease/income/benefit/household composition changes and requesting payments to the landlord
- Requesting contingency funds to prevent clients from losing their housing and helping clients to obtain and maintain entitlements
- Educating and coaching clients about independent living and understanding housing issues, including money management, tenant rights and responsibilities.
- Providing referrals for community-based services.
- Coordinating housing case management services with the client’s other treatment and service providers and Health Homes.
- Conducting intakes.
- Facilitating relevant groups and client and staff workshops.
- Completing assigned paper work, managing client files, and keeping files in compliance at all times.
- Handling assigned case load
- Being on call for 24/7 emergencies (via agency provides beeper or cell)
- Solid clinical experience with adults with serious and persistent mental illness and substance abuse disorders.
- Ability to build relationships with clients, service providers and other Comunilife programs.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and integrity.
- Candidate must be community minded and have excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work well in a team environment, experience working with a diverse group of people, and customer service orientation.
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience and an excellent and comprehensive program of benefits for eligible employees that includes: health, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long term disability, flexible spending accounts, pension, 401K and paid time off.
- Minimum BSW or BA or BS in Health/Human Services, Forensic Psychology, Psychology and one (1) year experience working with mentally ill people.
- Computer literacy.
- Knowledge of DSM-IV diagnoses, mental illness, substance abuse, mental health system and programs, bilingual in Spanish, a plus.
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume with salary requirements to: email@example.com . Please refer to the specific job title for which you are applying when submitting your application. Cover letters and resumes may also be faxed to Human Resources at 212-564-3445.
Comunilife is an equal opportunity employer. Visit our website: www.comunilife.org