The Model Development group is looking for a Catastrophe Modeler to help it build industry leading stochastic catastrophe models for the quantification and management of catastrophe risk.
* Development of earthquake vulnerability functions for catastrophe computer based risk models for US and other countries.
* Assessment of the building damageability and development of physics based vulnerability functions for property and business interruption coverage.
* Acquisition, review and interpretation of past event data will play a critical role in that process as well as a need to understand and develop state of the art practices in the field.
* Responsibilities include research into the past and current design and construction practices in different regions of the world.
* Provide technical support both internally to RMS' staff and to clients.
* The position will require independent work and being able to perform required research.
* Preparing presentations and reports for internal and external publications.
* Degree in Civil Engineering or Mathematical Modeling or a related field. BS and two or more years experience or MS degree required. PhD degree preferred.
* Experience in the development of probabilistic risk models is desirable
* Advanced knowledge of probability and statistics.
* High level of proficiency in data analysis, statistical inference and data manipulation.
* Good programming skills and experience in software tools.
* Knowledge of engineering design codes and structural engineering experience is a plus
* Working knowledge of GIS software applications preferred.
* Ability to work on multiple projects in a team environment is essential.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Did you know there's a 5% chance that a hurricane will cause $60 billion of insured losses next year? And there's a 1% chance that an earthquake will cause $50 billion of insured loss in the next 12 months? We do. At RMS, we build the simulation models that allow insurers and investors to understand portfolio risks due to catastrophes: natural catastrophes (hurricane, earthquake, flood), terrorism, pandemic, and changes in life expectancy.
We are one of the most exciting and technologically sophisticated firms you've 'never' heard of, unless you're one of our hundreds of clients in the (re)insurance, banking or hedge fund sector. We lead an industry we helped pioneer and ultimately our work makes a true impact on the world at large. How we understand and manage risk affects everybody and our passion is nothing less than creating a more resilient world through a better understanding of catastrophic events.
As we approach our 25th anniversary, we are now evolving our vision by delivering future solutions in the cloud, releasing in 2014 a cutting edge risk management platform 'RMS(one)' for the global risk market. RMS(one) will create a holistic and integrated view across the enterprise with one platform for all models, all points of view, all data. All will be run as equal partners on RMS(one).
To find out more, visit www.rms.com . Or follow us on Facebook or @rmsjobs on Twitter.
RMS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Go Job Search
- 15 months ago - save job
Risk Management Solutions is the world's leading provider of products and services for catastrophe risk management. More than 400 leading...