The Catastrophe Portfolio Manager provides leadership and guidance to underwriters and modelers; follows industry trends and innovations; develops and enhances modeling techniques and pricing approaches; and serves as a subject matter expert within the company for catastrophe related risk management issues. Evaluates various vendor models and makes recommendations on company applicability and usage for both individual risk pricing and portfolio management.
Position & Responsibilities :
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Expertise in general catastrophe modeling techniques and peril-specific modeling methodologies including specific inputs, outputs and processing components, understands the inner workings of the model(s) and what drives results, suggests changes to data collection when necessary, and works with Reinsurance Department to explain/report results internally and to our reinsurance partners.
- Significant involvement in modeling of individual accounts. Develops and implements standard processes and procedures. Maintains accuracy of input by users, helps develop exception testing, workflows, and audits.
- Responsible for managing the modeling team, developing guidelines and training materials, developing workflows, and setting customer service standards (response time, accuracy, audits, etc.).
- Manages the implementation of catastrophe modeling software upgrades.
- Interfaces with the Actuarial and Reinsurance Departments on the pricing formulas and communication of details to the Underwriting units; plays a key role in identifying issues and shortfalls in the pricing approach and developing alternative approaches.
- Develops and generates a reporting package providing insight and analysis to various Company divisions including statistical information and exposures by geographic territory
- Maintains a real time estimate of overall company catastrophe exposure and PML to supplement the aggregate modeling estimates by tracking the marginal impact of new business, renewals and non-renewals on the overall portfolio, by geographic territory.
- Provide training and guidance as to the best practices associated with use of the models.
- Minimum of six years of catastrophe modeling experience.
- Proven analytical and quantitative skills, with strong organizational, interpersonal, communication and time management skills.
- High energy, with a desire to be a team player capable of interacting with a variety of individuals internally and externally.
- A positive attitude, with a sense of urgency directed toward the design of creative solutions.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Access and VBA programming.
- Bachelors Degree in Risk Management, Actuarial Science or Finance is desired.
United National Group - 10 months ago