The purpose of this position is to provide opportunities for recreational activity to the citizens of the City. This is accomplished by overseeing the operation of the Recreation Center, its staff and its related programs. Other duties may include budgetary responsibility, managing financial controls, providing computer related support, ensuring quality customer service, maintaining positive staff relations, maintaining facilities and interfacing with other City employees and citizens. This position provides direction to other employees.
The information listed below is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
- Oversees operation of Recreation Center, its staff and its related programs by developing and maintaining budget for facility programs and personnel. Reconciles financial transactions and records, makes daily deposits, processes and approves refunds, monitors payroll activities, maintains inventory, procures maintenance services for facility and equipment, ensuring quality of programs and enforcing and developing policies and procedures.
- Provides computer related support by troubleshooting computer problems, training staff on new and existing computer systems, diagnosing Class Software and online registration issues and providing computer assistance to department staff. Operates in all applicable system modules pertinent to job assignment, trains staff on use of computer systems and compiles data from computer systems.
- Ensures customer service by addressing and resolving complaints from the public, makes discretionary decisions regarding customer related issues, educates and trains staff on customer service practices, and holds staff accountable for expected customer service delivery goals.
- Supervises personnel by conducting the hiring process to include selecting candidates and interviewing for open positions, training staff, promoting and maintaining a positive work environment for optimum staff morale, evaluating staff performance and conducting performance reviews, administering staff meetings, scheduling staff, holding staff accountable for expectations, handling staff concerns and suggestions and administering disciplinary actions as needed.
- Ensures safe and proper maintenance of facilities by coordinating preventative maintenance, repairs and capital improvements with appropriate personnel and/or vendors and ensures cleanliness of facility and premises.
- May work varied shifts including opening, closing and weekend hours as assigned
Additional functions as it relates to the respective facility:
Don Rodenbaugh Natatorium
- Ensures proper water quality in pools and hot tubs by monitoring chemical levels daily, adjusting chemical levels as needed, performing routine maintenance on pumps, filters, chemical feeders, ultraviolet (UV) purification system and other pool components. Ensures compliance on all health and safety codes and regulations, works with applicable compliance officials and inspectors and ensures personnel maintains required certifications.
Formal Education / Knowledge
Work requires broad knowledge in a general profession or technical field. Knowledge is normally acquired through four years of college resulting in a Bachelor's Degree in Parks and Recreation or related field preferred or equivalent experience in Parks and Recreation or related field in lieu of education.
Related Fields/Experience including but not limited to:
Parks, Recreation and Tourism
Kinesiology, Sports Management or Physical Education
Ice Rink Operations or Management
Golf Operations or Programming
Over two years up to and including three years of relevant experience.
Certification and Other Requirements
Valid Texas Class C Driver’s License, CPR/First Aid Certification within 4 months of hire, Certified Pool Operator (CPO) or Aquatic Facility Operator (AFO) Certification or ability to re-certify/obtain within 3 months.
Intermediate - Ability to read papers, periodicals, journals, manuals, dictionaries, thesauruses, and encyclopedias. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Intermediate - Ability to deal with system of real numbers; practical application of fractions, percentages, ratios/proportions and measurement. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Intermediate - Ability to write reports, prepare business letters, expositions, and summaries with proper format, punctuation, spelling, and grammar, using all parts of speech. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Receives limited directions. The employee normally performs the duty assignment according to his or her own judgment, requesting supervisory assistance only when necessary. The assignment may be reviewed upon completion. Performance is reviewed periodically.
Does research for documents, compiles data for computer entry, and/or enters or oversees data entry. Has responsibility for monitoring budget expenditures (typically non-discretionary expenditures) for a work unit of less than department size (programs, activities, projects or small organizational units)
Supervisory / Organizational Control
Work requires supervising and monitoring performance for a regular group of employees or a work unit including providing input on hiring/disciplinary actions and work objectives/effectiveness, performance evaluations, and realigning work as needed. A first line supervisor typically performs these functions.
Work requires analysis and judgment in accomplishing diversified duties. Requires the exercise of independent thinking within the limits of policies, standards, and precedents.
Interpersonal / Human Relations Skills
Decisions regarding establishment of policies may be made. Contact may involve support of controversial positions or the negotiation of sensitive issues or important presentations.
City of Allen, TX - 20 months ago
copy to clipboard