The Central Sterile Specialist functions in the decontamination and sterile processing area with responsibilities of practicing the principles of aseptic technique. The CSS must be able to perform functions in Decontamination, Instrument assembly, and sterilization of instrumentation. Perform decontamination functions by manual and washer decontaminator cleaning. Assembly of instrumentation, wrapping and sterilization functions. The CSS Must be able to demonstrate the ability to work in a fast paced environment as a team member, lead by supervision.
High School graduate or G.E.D. equivalent.
Preferred: High School graduate or G.E.D. equivalent with completion of a CS training program or graduate from an accredited Surgical Technologist program. If graduate of a surgical technologist program, completion of a CSS course is not required.
One year as a Central Sterile Specialists or graduate from an accredited Surgical Technologist program.
Certified Central Sterile Specialists with previous instrumentation experience with trauma or full services provider
Position Requirement(s): License/Certification/Registration
Completion of 40 hours CSS course. Maintain certification by International Association of Health Care Central Service Materials Management or the National Institute for the Certification of Healthcare Sterile Processing and Distribution Personnel. Permission to complete 40 hour CSS course certificate within one year of hire for surgical technologists.
Department Position Summary:
1. Must be able to practice principles of aseptic technique.
2. Able to follow written and oral instruction.
3. Communicates effectively, pleasantly and tactfully with all customer populations
4. Must demonstrate knowledge of organizational guidelines and procedures.
5. Knowledge of surgical instruments, heat sealers, and biological testing.
6. Knowledge of Steam, Ethylene Oxide, Steris System One and Hydrogen Peroxide Gas Plasma sterilizers
7. Demonstrates a desire to accomplish job assignments with high quality standards
8. Demonstrates ability to work in high stress, high noise environment
9. Practices standard precautions in their daily work assignments.
10. Must possess ability to follow instructions and perform assignments in an acceptable manner
11. Must possess ability to work under supervision.
12. Must possess effective writing skills translatable to appropriate operative
13. Communications with all members of the health care team involved in the delivery of effective patient care.
14. Must possess the ability to cooperate with supervisor and peers as a team player.
15. Must have the ability to operate devices such as computers and telephones and sterilization equipment.
Mission: To improve the health of people we touch.
Vision: To be recognized locally, regionally and nationally as a premier health system.
R.E.S.P.E.C.T.: We will fulfill the mission and vision by adhering to the Standards of R.E.S.P.E.C.T.
Erlanger Health System - 23 months ago