To assign professional/technical charges and ICD-9 codes from clinical information, and to train physicians and staff in coding and billing in order to maximize revenue generation for the Department of Medicine.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
• Abstracts professional and technical charges from clinical information on Department of Medicine medical records for the purpose of patient billing.
• Analyze and interpret medical records to identify and assign CPT and ICD-9 codes on all billable services
• Assign and sequence appropriate diagnostic/procedure billing codes in compliance with Medicare and third party payors
• Review documentation to establish compliance with teaching physician billing guidelines
• Respond to billing and coding questions from providers, staff and administrators
• Review patient records and recommend appropriate coding/documentation for deficient records
• Provide coding overview and training to physicians and staff
• Responsible for maintaining a daily work flow of 45 charts per hour accurately coded.
• Assist the Coding Manager to ensure that all Department of Medicine FEE tickets have appropriate Providers, CPT Codes and modifiers listed.
Other Related Duties:
• Keep up-to-date on coding information by attending coding conferences, workshops and in-house sessions.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
High school graduation or an equivalent combination of training and experience is necessary. Certified Coder (CPC or CCS-P) required.
At least 3 years of professional coding.
Functional and administrative supervision is received from the Certified Coding Manager.
Typical Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Frequent mobility and/or sitting required for extended periods of time. Requires manual dexterity to operate computer keyboard, calculator, copier machine, and other office equipment.
Typical Mental Demands:
Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must be able to communicate providing verbal feedback in a professional manner. Must be able to follow and understand instructions, and react favorably in all work situations. Must have strong interpersonal skills and be mentally adaptable and flexible in dealing with a variety of people at various levels within and outside the MFA. Ability to do math calculations, input data into the computer, and analyze data as requested.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Works in a typical office setting.
George Washington Medical Faculty Associates - 13 months ago