The Chairman sets strategic vision, leads a diverse faculty in the development and implementation of goals, and administers comprehensive operations of the Department of NanoMedicine and Biomedical Engineering (nBME) to ensure successful execution of departmental programs and operations. This includes supporting and promoting the major missions of a basic and translational research department including discovery research, education, intramural / extramural collaboration, translational medicine and development. Under the direction of the Dean of the Medical School, the role exercises overall leadership and administration of nBME's programs and operations.
Additional Summary Specific to Job
Primary Responsibilities to Include:
- Develop a strong mission and vision for the nBME department.
- Provide strategic vision and leadership for organizational, research and development objectives that support and promote breakthrough discoveries and resulting new disease therapies and diagnostics for the treatment and prevention of human diseases.
- Work collaboratively with faculty, Medical School, and University leadership to design and implement goals that support nBME's strategic strengths and vision.
- Ensure execution of nBME's mission, programs and goals.
- Develop strong partnerships in NanoMedicine and biomedical engineering with local institutions for joint departmental activities; include teaching, research and service. Guide and support the development of effective departmental partnerships nationally and internationally to further nBME's mission.
- Liaise with national and international authorities, science leaders, senior government staff and donors.
- Direct advocacy, outreach, fundraising and education programs in partnership with other departmental and university leaders.
- Maintain ongoing contact with public and private sector in anticipation of future research and philanthropic collaborations.
- Direct recruitment of new faculty and staff to further the vision and goals of the department.
- Organize and structure supporting functions to ensure efficient and productive operations including facilities, service centers and equipment.
- Oversee the planning, implementation, evaluation and coordination of the fiscal management of the department's administrative and financial activities, including preparation and continued monitoring of departmental budgets; annual reports; space management; personnel management; and liaison activities. Initiate corrective action as needed.
- Ensure a safe and healthy environment where all applicable regulations apply.
- Provide for all recruiting and selection, hiring and termination, training, professional development, mentoring, counseling, evaluating performance, and salary planning, including promotion and tenure of faculty.
- Design and execute an effective system of internal controls to provide reasonable assurance that operations are effective and efficient; assets are safeguarded; and financial information is reliable and compliant with applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Foster intra-campus collaborations and multi- and Interdisciplinary research teams and programs with basic and clinical science departments.
- Work closely with the leadership of the Institute of Molecular Medicine, the Center for Clinical and Translational Sciences and other campus-wide departments, centers and institutes pursuing pathbreaking basic and translational sciences.
- Create an environment of shared research excellence.
- Support strong translational research programs and enhance technology transfer / commercialization.
- Work closely with local and national business leaders.
- Work closely with the research leadership on campus.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Dean of the Medical School.
- Distinguished national or international reputation for sustained scholarly research accomplishments, and a demonstrated record of success funding and managing science-based programs.
- Demonstration of an ongoing active and productive research program.
- Strong leadership skills, including the ability to gain the confidence of key leaders, scientists and operational staff to achieve and maintain strategic partnerships and collaborative relationships.
- Demonstration of significant leadership and management responsibility in developing a new center, department and/or major regional research partnerships.
- Excellent communications, interpersonal and management skills.
- Excellent teaching and new educational program development skills in cutting-edge technologies.
- Ability to develop and direct major center grants and training grants.
- Ability to encourage faculty entrepreneurial skills and partnerships with industry.
- Experience and knowledge of all applicable Federal, State and policies, regulations, and statues to ensure compliance.
MINIMUM EDUCATION: MD and/or PhD (or equivalent) in biomedical sciences, particularly in areas of NanoMedicine, translational medicine and / or biomedical engineering.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE: Seven years relevant experience directing a high- level research function.
Located in the prestigious Texas Medical Center, UTHealth is the most comprehensive academic health science institution in the Southwestern...