The scope of work for a Chaplain is to assess spiritual beliefs, practices, strengths and resources; plan care to meet spiritual needs; provide spiritual presence, counseling and ethical guidance; and facilitate observation of religious and other practices that provide meaning and/or comfort. |
Education, Experience and Skills Requirements
Completion of an advanced degree in Divinity or Theology or its equivalency, ecclesiastical endorsement, a minimum of one unit of clinical pastoral education, with the goal of completing 4 units. Must be eligible for certification in the Association of Professional Chaplains or Catholic Chaplains, or comparable professional organization. Must have a theological and psychological understanding of spiritual and human dynamics, knowledge of liturgical worship, knowledge of medical ethics, and knowledge of the pastoral counseling role in a health care setting. A minimum of two years pastoral care experience, preferably in a Health Care setting, is required.
Job Specific Competencies
- Provides spiritual care and counseling to patients, families, and associates.
- Functions as a team member throughout Sanford.
- Promotes relationships with the faith communities, religious institutions and the community at large throughout the region.
- Functions as a teacher within areas of expertise for students, associates, parish nurses, lay ministers and area clergy.
- Interacts with customers in a warm and friendly way.
- Takes immediate action to meet customer requests or needs.
- Listens to understand what customers have to say.
- Recognizes safety hazards and takes corrective action; seeking assistance when needed.
- Demonstrates knowledge of operational policies and procedures.
- Performs work safely, without causing harm or risk to self, others or property.
- Makes a decision considering the impact of the decision on other areas.
- Initiates collaboration with others outside of service area.
- Demonstrates personal commitment to the principles, values, and ethics of the organization.
- Models accountability for learning by sharing knowledge and learning from others.
- Builds effective working relationships.
- Expresses appreciation to others for their work.
- Treats others with respect.
- Demonstrates both knowledge and application of Sanford policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Demonstrates the ability to take charge, take unpopular stands if necessary, face difficult situations, and is looked to for direction from others.
- Facilitates and supports change within the Sanford Health.
- Demonstrates commitment to continuous learning for themselves and staff.
- Demonstrates and applies continuous quality improvement knowledge and skills.
Information Management Competencies
- Demonstrates skill in accessing, preparing and using information as relevant to position.
- Verbalizes and demonstrates knowledge of procedures for maintaining security, confidentiality and integrity of employee, patient, family and other medical information.
- Demonstrates skill in use of equipment relevant to position; verbalizes knowledge of appropriate safety procedures.
- Diagnoses equipment problems; fixes or seeks out someone to fix.
- Consistently informs appropriate person of problems encountered with repairs or calibration of equipment.
Age Related Competencies
- Applies knowledge of growth and development in customer interactions and adapts care according to patient's age/developmental stage.
- This position is classified as a Category III position under OSHA guidelines with no risk of exposure to bloodborne pathogens and other potentially infectious materials.
View Physical Requirements
Sanford Health - 16 months ago