ACLS- Advanced Cardiac Life Support
BLS- Basic Life Support
PALS- Pediatric Advanced Life Support
RN in the State of TX Required
2-3 years of hospital experience required
POSITION SUMMARY :
This position serves as the clinical leader responsible for operations and management of ED unit. The Charge Nurse assumes responsibility for shift operations such as making appropriate assignments, coordinating care, resolving issues, functioning as the resource nurse, participating in staffing decisions, rounding on patients, and maintaining TJC compliance. The Charge Nurse assumes long range responsibilities such as employee evaluations, corrective action, business/budget planning, and performance improvement.
· Directs the nursing component of operations including participating in the employment process, overseeing and participating in training, and assigning and scheduling work.
· Directs admission, discharge and general flow of patients.
· Makes appropriate assignments based upon patient need and staff skill/competence.
· Directs and coordinates nursing care based on established clinical nursing practice.
· Delivers safe, effective, age appropriate care in a manner that meets standards of care and hospital policies and procedures.
· Oversees and monitors the plan of care for patients on assigned unit to facilitate effective and efficient care delivery and the achievement of desired patient outcomes.
· Collaborates with other professional Associates to facilitate effective and efficient interdisciplinary care.
· Resolves staff or patient complaints and utilizes chain of command procedures when indicated.
· Promotes the Standards of Behavior which include communicating effectively with Associates, physicians, administrators, patients, guests, and community.
· Promotes a team-like environment.
· Serves as a role model for professional behavior.
· Participates in the hiring process and utilizes evidence based interview questions.
· Assures supervision, assistance, instruction, and evaluation of orienting Associates.
· Performs Associate performance evaluations.
· Provides coaching and counseling up to and including recommendation for termination when appropriate and upon consultation with nursing director and human resources.
· Develops and mentors Associates
· Participates in the budget planning process.
· Monitors and maintains adequate patient care supply par levels.
· Actively participates in the development and implementation of performance improvement.
· Responsible for TJC compliance during one’s shift including but not limited to: quality control checks such as temperature logs, defibrillator checks, crash cart checks, etc.
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
· Experience with patient safety best practices preferred.
Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding sensitive information
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrated proficient communication skills.
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS :
· Completion of education to obtain Texas Licensure as a Registered Nurse (RN)
· Minimum of one (1) year of experience as a charge or relief charge nurse required
· Minimum of one (2) year of experience in an Emergency hospital setting required
· Registered Nurse (RN) with Texas Board of Nursing – OR – current home state license is required for multi-state license recognition through the Nurse Licensure Compact
· BLS, ACLS and PALS through AHA (American Heart Association) required upon hire
· PALS and/or ENPC required upon hire
· TNCC required within 18 months of hire
Seton Healthcare Family - 22 months ago