Generally responsible for performing complete design of less complex process engineering assignments. Assists in the design of larger and more complex chemical/process engineering assignments. This work will be performed under general supervision.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
Primary responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Promoting the culture of working safely and applying safety related concepts into process design.
- Familiarity with and utilizing department standards, procedures, and guidelines.
- Familiarity with project scope, specifications and design criteria upon assignment to a project task team.
- Assisting in developing conceptual layouts and cost studies as necessary to determine the simplest, most efficient approach to solving engineering tasks at hand.
- Assisting in producing estimate level preliminary designs and material take-offs suitable for the level of the estimate being performed on a project.
- Assisting in producing detail design calculations and sketches for materials of construction associated with the project. Calculations produced will be neatly prepared and organized for efficient checking by others and efficient use by drafters/designers for preparing drawings and as a deliverable when required.
- Assisting in producing designs with efficient use of construction materials with an overall emphasis on ease of construction and completed product meeting the expectations of the client.
- Checking calculations made by other engineers to ensure accuracy, conformance to codes, specifications, design criteria and conformance to good engineering practice.
- Assisting the drafting group in resolving routine layout and detailing problems. Responsible for furnishing sufficient sketches and details necessary for completion of engineering drawings.
- Consulting with design leaders from other disciplines to ensure the smooth flow of vital information necessary for the scheduled completion of the project.
- Advising the Lead Engineer concerning design or scope changes
- Assisting in checking vendor drawings and other discipline drawings for chemical/process input.
- Assisting in reviewing fabrication drawings and other construction submittals for conformance to engineering drawings and specifications.
- Performing fieldwork necessary to gather field data, check tie-ins and provide construction support.
- Knowledgeable of the discipline specific methods, practices and techniques required to engineer, design and construct process and manufacturing projects.
- Participate in professional society meetings to make new business contacts and keep current with new developments in the industry.
- Willing to travel as required for on-site work, project meetings, client presentations, or training opportunities.
- Bachelor or Master of Science degree in Chemical Engineering from an accredited university.
- Position requires 5 to 6 years of relevant chemical/process design engineering within the refining and/or chemical industries.
- Basic knowledge of chemical/biochemical process engineering and chemical/biochemical process computer programs.
- Knowledgeable in some aspects of process safety and how to these requirements to process design
- Basic knowledge in the use of process simulation software such as Aspen Plus, Aspen Plus Dynamics, PRO/II, DYNSIM, HYSYS, CHEMCAD, WinGEMS, ProMax, etc.
- Basic knowledge in the use of hydraulic simulation software such as AFT Fathom, AFT Arrow, PIPEPHASE, PIPE-FLO, and/or SiNet
- Working knowledge of CAD software preferred, either AutoCAD or Microstation (or both).
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
- Ability to sit, stand or walk for long periods of time.
- Ability to climb ladders or perform duties utilizing a safety harness.
- Ability to perform duties within confined spaces for extended periods of time.
- Ability to perform duties while wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as a fire-retardant jumpsuit, safety glasses, ear plugs and/or hard hat.
- Ability to lift and carry in excess of 25 lbs.
Hargrove Engineers + Constructors - 19 months ago