The Research Scientist I is expected to demonstrate
expertise in both the theoretical and practical aspects
of organic chemistry. Principal responsibility is the
synthesis, purification, and identification of chemical
intermediates and target compounds. A major component in
the scientist's performance rating will be based on
literature or in-house notebook procedures.
- Synthesize known compounds efficiently using
compounds by making appropriate modifications of
- Under supervisory direction, synthesize new
known methods. The range of reaction types handled
capably by the scientist will be significant.
yields (design of new or alternate reaction
- Modify reaction conditions in order to improve
sequences is not a normal expectation, but will
enhance the performance evaluation of the
degree. The scientist will be able to use the full
- Purify synthesized chemicals to an appropriate
range of chromatographic, crystallization, and
modern separation and spectroscopic techniques. This
- Analyze and identify compounds using a good range of
will include interpretation of TLC, HPLC,
polarimetry, IR, and NMR spectra of moderate
compounds, structures related to the target
- Conduct literature searches for specific target
compound, or to determine specific conditions for
compounds and reactions.
concurrently. Use time efficiently to produce target
- Organize work time so that several reactions are run
compounds and perform other tasks.
quality of products and/or services.
- Recommend and implement methods to increase the
experiments and observations.
- Keep accurate, legible and complete records of all
summaries of experimental findings reliably and
- Submit acceptable written periodic reports. Prepare
assigned programs and potential problems. The latter
- Discuss routinely with supervisor the status of
is especially important in cases where the scientist
may be unfamiliar with the reagents or conditions to
occurrences which could adversely effect established
- Communicate orally and in writing unexpected
perform multiple projects effectively, and ensure
- Manage workload and time to enable the incumbent to
all necessary paperwork is completed on a timely
Maintain familiarity with the Chemical Hygiene Plan.
- Conduct laboratory operations in a safe manner.
Exhibit safety awareness and safe work practices.
disposal. Maintain compliance with all regulations
- Follow responsible actions regarding chemical
at the federal, state, and local levels.
equipment and replenish laboratory supplies as stock
- Practice preventive maintenance on laboratory
depletes to prevent laboratory “down-time.”
to specific projects.
- Volunteer to assist with tasks not directly related
training of others.
- Participate in self-development activities and
assigned in the course of business.
- Perform other related duties as may be reasonably
or equivalent industrial experience
- Bachelors or Masters Degree with major in chemistry
- Chemical Hygiene training
AMRI - 17 months ago